Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    persistentmotio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Keep tripping breaker when my window A/C kicks on.
    I just recently purchased a new condo with a new 100 amp system. My living room is all on one breaker and when the A/C condenser & compressor kicks back on the lights dim about half way for 20 sec or so before it trips the breaker. I have turned off my plasma TV, cable box, and sound system and I am still having this problem. The only things still functioning on this circuit currently is an air conditioner, laptop charger, fan, lamp, modem, router, telephone and another router. Could this possibly be too much for the 15 amp breaker? Should I run the A/C off a new breaker (I have room in the panel) or can I just swap out the plug that the A/C is plugged into to a GFCI so if it is going to trip something it just trips the GFCI. I believe that this outlet is second to the last one on the circuit. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jun 9, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Lets start by getting the specs off the a-c

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC unit outside kicks on for 2 sec. Then breaker trips [ 6 Answers ]

When the thermostat kicks the AC on the unit outside comes on for 2 seconds then trips the breaker. The blower inside the house stays on but because the compressor outside isn’t running it just circulates the warm air. The AC unit is on a 30 amp breaker switch so I believe that is large enough to...

Breaker for AC Tripping [ 3 Answers ]

I have a split system & Air Handler. Any idea why the breaker keeps tripping?

Window Air Conditioner & Circuit Tripping [ 7 Answers ]

We installed a window air conditioner two days ago. Unit operated fine with no problems up until yesterday when it began tripping the circuit breaker. The unit is 120V and is the only thing plugged into the circuit (We have unplugged every other single item). The tripping of the circuit happens...

Window mount AC tripping circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a new air conditioner that is on it's own circuit. The breaker is new and rated at 15 amps. The air conditioner is supposed to use 15 amps at peak. I believe the wire to the outlet is rated at 15 amp. The air conditioner has it's own circuit breaker on the plug which has...

View more questions Search