Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sue sharma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 09:01 PM
    H1 marrying a F1
    Hi
    I am on H1 visa and have married a student, who is on F1. She has a job with her university and have made salary reported on W-2. I work in another state and she is studying in another state. I am thinking of filing as married filing jointly for my federal return. Please advice, what status should be used for her state tax return. She had filed as non-resident last year. Or should be file seprately this year.
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2006, 09:48 PM
    I believe I have already answered this question in the Private Message file.

Each state has different rules about how the taxpayer has to file. You need to visit the tax portion of the state government website.

You can file jointly and both be considered resident aliens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US citizen marrying a colombian [ 2 Answers ]

Helllllooooooooo Help... I am a born US citizen with now dual nationality in colombia. I want to marry my girlfriend that I have been with for 2 years. We are both 25 with no kids, never been married. What are the steps I should take. I have already visited the INS website. But I want step...

Marrying a portuguese person [ 4 Answers ]

I want to get married to a portuguese person, but I live in Northern Ireland, could someone please tell me how he can get a "freedom to marry certificate" and how to apply for a portuguese passport from the uk here.

View more questions Search