Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MICKEYCAT Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Jun 6, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Aggressive tom
    I have a problem with my 5 year old neutered cat. He was hand reared from a few days old. He is very loving and friendly for a short time then he growls and bites me. He is also very aggressive towards strangers. Any advice welcome
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2008, 08:52 PM
    If he's neutered, he's not a "tom."

Has he always been like this, or is this a recent change in behavior?
    MICKEYCAT Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Jun 7, 2008, 05:09 AM
    Yes he has been this way since he was about 1 year old
    pumpkin_cat Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Jun 19, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Your cat may be under some kind of stress. How does he behave exactly when strangers are around??
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 19, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Kittens that are hand reared without a mother or siblings to help teach them how to be a cat often have some aggression problems. They often don't know how to inhibit play bites, and when they get overstimulated they can become overly aggressive.
    I read somewhere that if the cat enjoys petting for 3 minutes and then comes unglued, practice petting for 2 minutes and stop before the onset of aggression. The less this behavior is allowed to happen the more likely the cat will learn to stop on his own and learn to tolerate longer periods of petting.
    I suspect guests may overstimulate him as well; I would have them ignore the cat and let him explore the new smells and sounds on his own. No petting unless he asks for it, and then only briefly.
    If he actually attacks people, arm them with a spray bottle of plain water. If the cat gets into an aggressive posture, have them give him a squirt in the face. It won't hurt him, but it will startle and distract him. You know how much cats hate to have wet ruffled fur. More than likely he will retreat somewhere to dry himself off and hopefully forget about his original plans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aggressive pit? [ 16 Answers ]

Help! First let me tell you I've had dogs all of my life. Beagles, poodles, Doberman, Dachshund, a couple shepherds, and coon hounds, so I am no stranger to dogs. My oldest daughter has an American Bulldog and a pit Terrier that is sweet as pie. Now onto my question. I am babysitting my sons...

Dog becoming aggressive? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok well, I started doing some of the alpha dog stuff that Labman suggested after my dog started scroiunging, and it was working for a little while, but now he has completely snapped or something. I have had this dog for a little over 2 years now, and he was always the biggest baby, but now he is...

My dog is aggressive [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is aggressive towards children, how do I stop him?:confused:

Very Aggressive Dog [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: :confused: On June 2, 2006, I and my wife purchased (Gizmo/He) a German Sheppard from a Dog obedience Training Facility. The dog was trained for protection for another family and after they had the dog for about 2 or 3 months the dog had bitten one of their kid's friends. They return the...

Aggressive daschund [ 4 Answers ]

I recently adopted a 2 year old mini daschund. He is so lovable to me and my family. The problem is he gets very aggressive with strangers. He has even bitten a few of our friends. Does anyone have any ideas how to break him of this behavior.

View more questions Search