Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donyell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Sick dashund
    My dashund is sick she had her puppies yesturday and she won't eat and hardly drinks. Her brest look deformed and the puppies act as if they are not getting enough to eat. She acts like she don't know how to take care of them . She had six puppies what is wrong with her:confused:
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 4, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Six pups are an awful lot to have at once. She needs to rest, in order to get her strength back, and time to recover. She will instinctively know how to take care of her pups.

Keep a close eye on her and make sure she and her babes are warm and comfortable. She may not eat a lot in the first few days, but keep her water bowl close enough that she doesn't have to get up to drink when she is thirsty. You might want to even try putting water in a large straw, or syringe and give her hydration that way. Be careful, because she will be very protective.

If you are sure that her pups aren't getting any nourishment from her, and there is an obvious problem with her nipples, it is time to call your vet, and get her, and the pups in ASAP.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 5, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Mom dog & pups need to see the vet immediately. Mom should be eating and drinking normally or even more than usual to feed the puppies. It's critical that the pups get some nourishment, their blood sugar will start to drop very soon.
    Mother dog may not have passed all the afterbirth, or could even have a 7th puppy still inside. She may have an infection in her breasts. At any rate, this is serious--as in life threatening--call the vet now if you haven't already.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8
    Six pups are an awful lot to have at once. She needs to rest, in order to get her strength back, and time to recover. She will instinctively know how to take care of her pups.
    Actually, that's not true. Many mother animals lose their first (sets) of offspring because they don't know what to do. If they are social animals, they learn some from watching other animals with their litters. But there are dogs who have litter after litter and never learn to take care of their babies. In the most extreme cases, they just walk away and leave the litter to die.
    SHERRYANDGREG Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Jun 5, 2008, 06:50 PM
    It is normal for some dogs not to want to eat or drink after giving birth. It usually boils down to her not wanting to leave her puppies. When you say her breasts are deformed what are you referring to? If they are hard or hot then there could be an infection and she should see the vet asap. If they are just large that just means her milk has come in. Make sure she is cleaning all the puppies and make sure all of them are latching on and are warm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dashund should I put dog to sleep. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone: I'm trying to make a decision is to put my 11 year old dachshund to sleep. She has many medical problems. The main one at the moment her frequent seizures. I took her to the vet and she gave me meds for her to make her comfortable. The vet feels with her current heart, weight...

Female dashund [ 5 Answers ]

I want to know how long a female dushund is pregnant and if there are any special treatments that my baby might need if she is pregnant

Pregnant dashund [ 2 Answers ]

I have a mini dashund and she is now pregnant by a begal will this pregnancy hurt her and will she be able to carry them.

Crying dashund [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have a 3 month old miniture daschund and he crys all the time when we aren't giving him 100% of our attention! We have him sleep in his crate in our bedroom because we both work full time and he has to be in the crate all day... only he is barking and crying the whole time! We...

Miniature Dashund [ 2 Answers ]

My dashund had puppies on February 2 for the past week she has been acting really strange she is walking weird and when she chews she's only chewing with half her mouth when I give her an asprin she acts just fine but when it wears off she it comes back but while on the asprin she runs jumps but...

View more questions Search