Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Jun 4, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Colon Tumor/Cancer
    My grandfather was diagnsoed with Colon tumor, he is not good at english so he didn't understand the doctor very well, so I have a few questions, to give him some more information about his problem.

Is a Colon Tumor and Cancer the same?

Is Colon tumors harmful/ and or lead to death?

What are some possible ways they can be treated?

If needed surgery, is the surgery safe?

Will he be okay?

Thank you.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 05:19 PM
    One can have a tumor, without it being cancer, a pathologist will have to examine a tissue sample from the tumor itself to determine if it is malignant or not.

Colon Cancer is a very common type, especially in men over 50 and yes, unfortunately, it can cause death.

They can be treated in the normal ways, chemo, radiation, and surgery could all be possible options.

If it is detected early, there is a good chance that it can be successfully treated, or possibly removed completely, again depending on what stage it is in when it is discovered.

Good luck to your Grandfather.

Jun 4, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Thank you for replying... I didn't get much information from him because he was to upset to talk to me about it... I just hope he is okay

Thanks for your help.

I will try to do some research about this.

But I keep seeing Colon cancer, rather then Tumor.

I'll keep things updated if anyone is interested. Thank you!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 05:42 PM
    I had an uncle that had an advanced colon cancer and was operated on in 1974 at the age of 64. He died in about 2004 at the age of 94. He had to have thorough medical evaluations once per year but otherwise no inconveniences.
    My friends brother was diagnosed at age 51 and barely survived 6 months.
    You should try to talk to the Dr. (maybe they have an interpreter at the hospital if needed).
    The Dr. is the only one who can actually answer your questions. Best wishes

Jun 4, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Thanks for your storys...

:(

It broke my heart today to see him cry... He wouldn't tell me why he is upset but I', guessing its from that.

I don't think I would be able to talk to the doctor but I think my mom is going too.

Thanks for the back up info, it helped a lot.

I really hope it isn't a cancer.. I heard he had two tumors, one was removed but the other needs surgery.

He is in his 60's I believe but I have a feeling he will be okay

He doesn't show all the symptoms for Colon cancer.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Good luck to your grandpa, he is one step up because he has such a caring family.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Sweetie, there are 2 types of tumors.

1 is benign, and that means that it is not cancerous, but could turn into cancer in the future.

The other is malignant and that means that it is cancer. Unfortunately, you will have to wait for the pathologists report. I believe that has already been mentioned.

Now, as far as survivorability, that depends on the pathology report also. It all depends on the staging of the tumor, and that is very hard to explain without knowing what the patho is.

There are medications out there, and there is surgery. Again, it all depends on how far advanced the tumor is or is not.

I will keep you in my thoughts. And, please keep us posted in what you find out.

Jun 5, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Thank you so much for all the help and support.
    I will most deffinatly keep updated with the information about his tumor, and what type it is.
    I actually just found out his surgery is on July 1st.

I wonder, was any of this caused from eating habits, or smoking?
    When they said Colon, I was a little tweaked because lately he has been eating a lot of fruits, so he can pass stool. But he does smoke.

Anyway, thanks again, my parents are becoming a little more relieved because I translated this page into their language and let them read it, so they understand about is problem a little better as well.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Colon cancer can be caused by a variety of things, but most often it is caused by heredity. Somewhere down the line in his family there is probably a history of one kind of cancer or another.

But let's not put the cart before the horse. We don't even know if it is cancer yet. He hasn't even been biopsied it seems. If it were colon cancer I am sure the doctors would be more aggressive than waiting until July 1 for the surgery.

Jun 5, 2008, 06:30 PM
    I saw his doctor today.
    He can not tell me anythign about the tumor beign cancerous until after the surgery.

He told me one of his heart valves(?) Is tight and they have to do a surgery to make it loose, before his colon surgery.

The surgery connects the oclon and part of the large intestine together.

The doctor said my grandfather is very healthy and has a strong heart, so it made me a little better knowing a bit more info.

I think his surgery is moved up now, but I'm not sure.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 5, 2008, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HarajukuGirl
    Thank you so much for all the help and support.
    I will most deffinatly keep updated with the information about his tumor, and what type it is.
    I actually just found out his surgery is on July 1st.

I wonder, was any of this caused from eating habits, or smoking? .

Tobacco smoking as a risk factor for colon polyps.

Quote Originally Posted by HarajukuGirl

when they said Colon, I was a little tweaked because lately he has been eating a lot of fruits, so he can pass stool. But he does smoke.

Anyway, thanks again, my parents are becoming a little more relieved because I translated this page into their language and let them read it, so they understand about is problem a little better as well.
    More info:

MedlinePlus: Colonic Polyps

Open up "specific conditions."

It seems like your grandfather has many and or large polyps that are technically impossible to remove by colonoscopy. Surgery is going to take out that section of the colon with these polyp[s] and send them to pathology to make a final determination on whether there is any cancer.

A tight, or stenotic valve, is of concern because that may raise operative risk. The fact that his heart is "strong" is a good sign. Over time a stenotic valve can cause a weak or failing heart. The fact that he does not need a valve replacement suggests that the valve is not "critically " tight, and may need to be made wider , a valvuloplasty.

I hope your grandfather does well.

Jun 6, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Thanks for the links, helpful.

Yea, they have to make the valve less tight, so I guess its what you were talking about.

I am only relived because Colon problems are very common in men his age, so I feel positive :)

I am just scraed because he is over weight... so I will pray for him and keep things updated , in case someone has my same issue, this way they will know about Colon tumors :D
    But I hope no one has to go through it! Haha

Jul 8, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Hey, keeping everyone updated.

My grandfather just had his surgery, on July 1st. They are releasing him today.

His surgery went good but they are now concnered about his liver. They say the cancer may have spread there.

They might put him in Chemotherapy.

I'm not to sure about what's going to happen next

But I'll keep everyone updated.

Just wanted to let everyone know he is doing okay :)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 8, 2008, 03:33 PM
    I am glad that you grandfather is going home, I hope he does well in follow up.

Jul 20, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Thank you. Thank you
    :)

We may not give him Chemotherapy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Colon detox [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best and safe way to detox your colon and intestines. I have IBS with constipation and I heard that detoxing your insides will help you to get back on track. Ive tried eating fruits and vegis and I've taken Metamucil, Fiber One, Citricell etc.. Nothing seems to work. So I figured I'd...

Is it my colon? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 19 and for as long as I can remember I have been getting sharp, almost stabbing, pains through out my abdomen, groin, and my entire left side. Sometimes its not bad, but at times it is so bad it brings me to tears. There doesn't seem to be anything in particular to why the pain comes...

Colon spasms [ 1 Answers ]

I have had two episodes, a day apart of spasms in my left side. After the first one, I had a bowel movement. The second one made me very nauseous. Is this typical of colon spasms or something else?

Colon cleanser [ 5 Answers ]

I have heard colon cleanser helps cleaning up the body and losing weight,if so which one is the best?

View more questions Search