Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wassup Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Carburetor backfire
    17hp Kohler backfiring through the carb. Water was in the gas but now O.K.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 2, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Dear wassup

I have a John Deere lawntractor with a 17 hp motor.
    Backfiring through the carb sounds like a blown exhaust gasket...
    wassup Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 09:25 AM
    I tried to single out the causes of carb backfire which I know could be water in the gas, timing, or hung up intake valve. I never thought the timing could be off due to the mower being belt drive but Sears was called out and the flywheel key was bent thereby throwing off the timing. If an obstruction is hit on a push mower it can bend the keyway. On a belt drive mower usually the belt will absorb the shock. I think, since there was water in the gas, that backfiring caused the keyway to shear and once sheared the timing was thereby off and it backfired even more. Just trying to help out the neighbor.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2008, 04:48 PM
    The flywheel key will shear usually, I don't think I've saw one "bent". There are however, offset flywheel keys on some units.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backfire on tecumshe 10 hp engine [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 hp tecumshe engine on a generator I use when things like katrina start happening. Anyway I put it up for 2 years whth stabalizer in the gas and ran it once in that time. The last time I started it it was gummed up. I removed the carb. And rebuilt it but it backfires & pants, it does...

What type carburetor do I have? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 7 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. Model 170702 Type 1211-02 Code 7205241 What I need to know is what carburetor this engine has. I just want to see if I can get this engine running. It has Sat for quite a few years. It is on an old PennCraft riding mower.

Gm 2 jet carburetor installation [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new carburetor for my 62 chevy bel air... its a newer model of the gm 2 jet carburetor... my problem is the new one has more connections and is somewhat different than the original. My knowledge of cars is very limited... this is my first hot rod... I guess my questions is how do I...

Rebuilding carburetor. [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting ready to rebuild my carburetor on an 86 yamaha virago 700 and was looking for some pointers before I start... I've never done this before...

View more questions Search