Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NotLaLa Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Replaced switched electrical outlets and have problems
    Hi all,

I repainted a room and wanted to replace the off-white outlets with white ones to match my white trim. No problem, I've replaced outlets before, I thought to myself...

So I returned from Lowe's with my new Cooper outlets, located and turned off the breaker, and replaced all the outlets in the room. Turned the breaker on and, while the outlets worked perfectly, they were no longer switched. (I never said that I replaced a *switched* outlet before... )

While I was replacing the outlets, I was very careful to mark which wires were on top and which were on bottom. Usually. There was one outlet where I didn't mark the neutrals and had to guess which went on the top and which on the bottom. I thought maybe I had reversed the wires and perhaps that was the problem. So I took out that outlet and (after failing to "press to release" the back wires properly, ended up cutting off all the wires and buying a new outlet) reversed the neutrals from their then-current positions. I flipped the breaker back on and, of course, no difference.

So I did a little research and found out about that pesky tab you have to break off on the hot side. So this morning, I went around to all the outlets and broke off all the tabs. I just flipped the breaker back on and the good news is that, with the switch in the off position, I have one live and dead socket on each outlet. The bad news is that it doesn't change when the switch is on.

Sorry for the long-winded message, but I'm hoping that somewhere in there is a clue to what I did wrong. If the neutrals were wired correctly at first and then I flipped them to reversed positions (i.e. what should be on top is on the bottom and vice versa), would that cause my dead socket? Is there some other obvious misstep that I made? Is there some way I can troubleshoot this mess, or should I just give up and call an electrician?

And, as a side note, any tips on getting those back wires out of the outlet without resorting to wire cutters? I couldn't find anything small enough to fit into the place where you stick in the "pusher" that was also strong enough to push with any meaningful force.

I've seen a lot of good advice to others when perusing the board for a clue, so I am hoping one of you experts can take pity on this damsel in distress. Thanks in advance!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Backwiring can give problems, I would suggest around the screw.
    All whites should be together on white terminals, this is your neutral and not switched. And all tabs on that side to remain.
    Your switched wire may be a different color that the constant hot. A wire may have broken at wirenut or came loose, removing switch may be necessary for testing and may help locate the bad/missing connection.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Most likely what you did was break the tab on a receptacle that was not switched. This then discontinued the feed to the switch.

It would be impossible to say which one it is. You have to remove each one and look at how it is wired.

Jun 1, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NotLaLa
    Hi all,

I repainted a room and wanted to replace the off-white outlets with white ones to match my white trim. No problem, I've replaced outlets before, I thought to myself...

So I returned from Lowe's with my new Cooper outlets, located and turned off the breaker, and replaced all the outlets in the room. Turned the breaker on and, while the outlets worked perfectly, they were no longer switched. (I never said that I replaced a *switched* outlet before...)

While I was replacing the outlets, I was very careful to mark which wires were on top and which were on bottom. Usually. There was one outlet where I didn't mark the neutrals and had to guess which went on the top and which on the bottom. I thought maybe I had reversed the wires and perhaps that was the problem. So I took out that outlet and (after failing to "press to release" the back wires properly, ended up cutting off all the wires and buying a new outlet) reversed the neutrals from their then-current positions. I flipped the breaker back on and, of course, no difference.

So I did a little research and found out about that pesky tab you have to break off on the hot side. So this morning, I went around to all the outlets and broke off all the tabs. I just flipped the breaker back on and the good news is that, with the switch in the off position, I have one live and dead socket on each outlet. The bad news is that it doesn't change when the switch is on.

Sorry for the long-winded message, but I'm hoping that somewhere in there is a clue to what I did wrong. If the neutrals were wired correctly at first and then I flipped them to reversed positions (i.e., what should be on top is on the bottom and vice versa), would that cause my dead socket? Is there some other obvious misstep that I made? Is there some way I can troubleshoot this mess, or should I just give up and call an electrician?

And, as a side note, any tips on getting those back wires out of the outlet without resorting to wire cutters? I couldn't find anything small enough to fit into the place where you stick in the "pusher" that was also strong enough to push with any meaningful force.

I've seen a lot of good advice to others when perusing the board for a clue, so I am hoping one of you experts can take pity on this damsel in distress. Thanks in advance!
    Thanks for the quick responses...

I took a quick look at the outlets I removed from the room (the benefits of being a pack rat) and saw that, indeed, one of the outlets *didn't* have the tab broken off.

Stan, when you say "you have to remove each one and look at how it is wired," what do I need to look for to tell whether the outlet was intended to be switched or not?

Thanks for any help/advice...

-Laura
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Swithed wire could be available in all boxes, any one that you want to switch, just break tab off, 1 goes to 1 half of recepticle(always hot), and 1 wire goes to other half of recepticle(switched by switch).
    If you only have a black and white, then don't break tab, both will always be hot.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    If you only have a black and white, then don't break tab, both will always be hot.
    THIS should be the key. Having a box with only blacks and whites.
    Maybe not though.

What was the wiring scheme? Was it "3-wire" NM cable, such as 12/3 or 14/3? This is quite common where the black is the constant hot and the red is the switched wire, and connected as needed/wanted for switched receptacles.
    Mr Shove L Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Hi,:) Did you remember? Black on brass screw, and white on silver?:)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Maybe this will help
    Attached Images

Jun 6, 2008, 04:15 AM
    Thanks for all the answers (and sorry for the late reply -- I have limited computer time during the week).

Any advice on how to proceed with testing to determine where the problem is? I haven't been able to look further into the details of the wiring because, as a single mom, I'm pretty busy when it's light out. I hope to get to it this weekend...

Thanks again to all,
    Laura
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2008, 06:39 AM
    How many outletrs did you replace?

How many were switched before they got messed up?
    The top of one, the bottom of one, both outlets on 5 duplex outlets?

Jun 7, 2008, 11:09 AM
    I replaced 4 outlets. I only found 3 of the old ones, and the tabs were broken off on two of them. I thought they were all switched, but apparently it was only two or three of them. It's in a room I rarely used (guest room), so I only used a few of the outlets.

The ones that were switched were all switched on top, always live on bottom.

-Laura

Jun 14, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Does anyone have any advice on how to test the outlets so I can find where the problem is?

Thanks,
    Laura
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2008, 11:12 AM
    The Neutrals all stay together, they connect to silver side, the Large slot, don't break tab on that side.
    If a receptacle has a "switched half" that is the on that the tab needs to be removed, I think you had 1 or more that had a constant hot in and a constant hot out to continue on, breaking a tab on one of those will disrupt power.
    Just need to wire the hots together wit 2 pigtails(6" piece of wire) to connect to each dark screw.
    How many were switched before?
    Back wiring can create problems, better to go around screws.
    With power off you can twist receptacle side to side while pulling will undo backwired recepticles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switched Outlets [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me if it is possible/safe to have 3 outlets wired so that all 6 receptacles are controlled by 1 wall switch. I want to install 6 hanging lamps that already have the plugs attached, and would rather not cut them off for a hardwire install. Any suggestions/guide lines...

Electrical Outlets [ 3 Answers ]

I'm afraid that I have a cat that likes to spray it's territory and sometimes it does it on the electrical outlets. Of course, then you see sparks from the wire getting wet. Is there anything I can do to stop the sparks without having to turn the power off (one outlet switch also goes to the fridge...

Adding Switched outlets [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to add a switched outlet (3way) to my living room. I read an earlier post that explained how to separate the top half and bottom half of a receptacle. Does it seem reasonable to tap into the 'always hot side' of this receptacle and add the switches to the bottom receptacle? If so,...

Electrical Outlets in the bathroom [ 4 Answers ]

I have two separate bathrooms at opposite ends of the house. The plug-ins have been work find until this week. They both have the test and reset buttons on the front of them. One is red and the other one is black. I have checked the buttons. They are fine. I have pushed the rest button and it...

Electrical Outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have two outlets in my bathroom that supports a washer and dryer. One out is a reset outlet and the other is a normal standard outlet. I replaced both and only the reset outlet is working. How come the standed outlet has no power? The white and black wires are connected correctly.

View more questions Search