Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aberration18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Is it normal to leak colostrum 2 years after finishing breastfeeding?
    I am a 28 year old mother of a 3 year old. In the shower the other night, I had a sensation in my breasts similar to the feeling of milk "let down" when I was breastfeeding. Out of curiosity, I squeezed my nipples, and a tiny bit of colostrum came out of both breasts. I have not breastfed in 2 years. Also, I noticed that my right breast is more dense than the other one, and there is specifically a good amount of dense tissue on the upper side of my right breast toward my armpit, but it doesn't technically feel like a lump, it's just harder than the other breast. Both of my breasts are tender as well because I'm about to start my period. Could this all be hormone related? Or do I really have something to worry about? I do have a family history of breast cancer. Also, I don't know if this is related, but I've been on Lortab 10 mg for two years following breastfeeding (due to chronic back pain) and I recently started Lexapro 10 mg.

p.s. I know for sure that I am not pregnant.
    tjplayer Posts: 45, Reputation: 11

Jun 1, 2008, 03:06 PM
    I am not a doctor but I had some of the same about when my daughter was two or more. I was unable to continue to breastfeed her when she was about three months. So It was quite a time between the two. I did go to doctor and was told nothing to worry about just hormones and mine went away shortly after. It was not much to start with but like you something just felt different so I checked. Since breast cancer runs in your family and also with something feeling different on the right side I would just go to doctor to be sure, Hope this helps and everything is OK, I think it will be but please just make sure. Good luck and please remember this is just my opinion. Better go just to be safe.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Sounds hormonal, however the difference in density could be of concern-I'd go for a mammogram.

And yes it is unusual, but not abnormal to have some breast milk
    aberration18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I went to the doctor and had an ultrasound done. They said all it was was an area of dense, fibrous tissue. It seems strange to me that one breast would be so much more dense than the other one. But the doctor told me I should get ultrasounds every six months to make sure there aren't any changes in the density. As for the discharge, they couldn't give me a reason why I would be having discharge 2 years after breastfeeding.
    andreagayle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 03:53 PM
    I'm still getting colostrum and my youngest is 6! It is particularly bad when I am due to start my period.
    qmgates Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 06:39 PM
    I was similar until today. I have a 5 year old and 3 year old and have had a small clustrum consistently come out of my breast for 3 years,I was told it was do to prolactin levels being high which also prevents ovulation from time to time.However I tried to squeeze it out today for some reason I wanted to check it, and wah lah... nothing I unlike am rather excited because for me it could signal my hormones going back to normal, which will give my husband and I a chance to try for a child. But I am glad you made it to the doctors and there's no cancer
    mommahere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 09:18 PM
    My daughter is 8 and I still have colostrum and even drops of milk at times. I've been checked ove rand over again and there is no cancer or anythign else.
    senilga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2013, 07:26 PM
    My son is 18, but I have had colostrum coming out of my breasts during all these years.
    The production increases before period. I was checked several times and was told that everything was fine with me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Colostrum, and not pregnant! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so my sister was pregnant back in 2005. She had her son in November, although he was stillborn. She followed up with her dr.'s after the pregnancy, and she was fine other than being on iron pills for too much blood loss during delivery. Now, to this day she checks her breasts monthly for...

Losing colostrum [ 2 Answers ]

I am 23 weeks pregnant. Why am I losing so much colostrum?

Gas Leak or normal? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had some older gas fittings replaced with the new flexible gas lines for my stove by a plumber after intermittedley smelling a faint gas smell for a few months. (It became more noticeable as it got colder, but still faint). The gas company noticed the out-of-date fittings, pulled them...

Colostrum in breast [ 8 Answers ]

Does colostrum only occur in pregnancy? 3 days of missed period. Last week pregnancy test says negative, don't remember when the last period was. I am 40 and had my tubes tied four years ago. Lisa

Epstien-Barr Virus / Colostrum [ 0 Answers ]

After being diagnosed with EBV, I discovered there is no cure and nothing to be perscribed for the condition. I did lots of research on the internet and found recommendations of taking Colostrum. (Bovine first milking). I felt so much better after a couple of weeks, I started my husband on it...

View more questions Search