Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slaus2 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2006, 10:45 AM
    Adult Acne?
    I am 28 years old and I am constantly breaking out on my chin/jaw area. I have really dry skin (especially during these colder months) and think that this may be the cause. I wash my face with a Neutragena dry skin for sensative skin in the morning and just a warm wash cloth after work, and before bed. I use Neutragena's sensitive skin moistureizer in the AM and their light night cream before bed. Nothing seems to work except for my occasional visits to the tanning salon, I don't like to do this though because I am trying to prevent sun damage. I find the more "product" I use the worse it is. I never broke out like this in my teenage years. I have gone to dermatologists but don't think I have found the right one. I feel like they never really listen and just try and rush me out of the office. It's really getting to me now, I am too old for this.:confused:
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 3, 2006, 11:53 AM
    I can totally relate! I'm 36 and I'm still getting zits! :confused:

I have found that combinations of poor diet, lack of sleep, stress, and even allergic reactions to soaps and deodrants have given me pimples. I have also read that hormone imbalances are a big cause of adult acne.

As I've gotten older though, I have found that those products that were ineffective for me as a teenager, are now doing wonders for me! Oxy cream and cleaning pads have helped me. Products with benzoyl peroxide are effective.
    linmo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Hi, I too can relate to your problem although my acne started after I turned 40.
    I have found that Panoxyl cream 5, has been very good in my case. You can bye it over the counter in the pharmacists. I have found after a few days of applying the cream they dry up and start to disappear, only apply it to the spot as it dries the surrounding skin if you are too liberal.
    I hope this has been of some help, as I know how you feel.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 7, 2006, 12:40 AM
    Adult acne is a very common problem. At the heart of acne lies the pimple -- what doctors call a comedo. It's a plug of fat, skin debris, and keratin (the stuff nails, hair, and skin are made of) stuck in a hair duct. When it's open, we call it a blackhead. When it's closed over, we call it a whitehead. Whiteheads often cause the walls of the hair duct to rupture. This leads to redness, infection, and the papules, pustules, nodules, and cysts of acne.

Treatments like Azelaic acid cream, Topical antibiotics, Antibiotic pills, Alicylic acid Benzoyl peroxide and antibiotics in cream or lotion form are suppose to improve the condition. However, some of these products can cause extreme dry skin and peeling of the skin. If you've had no success from these treatments, I recommend that you seek advice from a physician or Dermatologist at the first onset and discontinue the use of oil-based cosmetics and extended exposure to sunlight. Serious cases of adult acne need medical intervention since they cannot be treated effectively with commercial preparations.
    dachsonish Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2006, 06:33 PM
    What is Acne?

Acne is a medical condition for plugged pores (blackheads and whiteheads), pimples, and cysts that occur on the face and upper body. Acne can occur at any age, but is most common among teenagers.

How does Acne Form? Male hormones (androgens) rise during puberty and stimulate the oil (sebaceous) glands to produce excessive oil. Acne is rarely caused by hormonal imbalance, but acne can be the consequence of improper skin care.
    Excessive oil and dead skin cells form a plug at the hair follicle opening.
    Bacteria grow in this mixture of oil and cells in the follicle.
    As a result, the pore becomes swollen and inflamed.
    The mixture of bacteria and sebum spilling into the skin can result in more inflamed pimples and cysts.
    Acne can result in scarring, which is difficult and expensive to treat.

What can aggravate Acne? Cosmetics:
    Any cosmetics that block the pores.
    Excessive and improper application of cosmetics.
    Other factors include:
    Stress, medications, diet and environmental factors.

How is Acne Treated?
    Acne is treated with topical medication such as benzoyl peroxide, vitamin A acid or antibiotics.
    Antibiotics taken by mouth such as tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline or erythromycin are often prescribed for moderate or severe acne. If you are on birth control pills, pregnant or nursing it is important to consult with your dermatologist.
    In severe acne, isotretinoin (accutane) is used and you must be followed closely by your dermatologist.

I am on topical medication for acne, what should be my skin care regimen?
    Most acne medication can cause dryness. You should apply the medication about 5 minutes after cleansing your face. then wait at least 5 minutes prior to using a moisturizer or applying makeup.

You should use the ORIKI Cleansing Lotion and Toning Lotion and apply The ORIKI Rejuvenating Cream at bedtime. If your acne consists of the blackheads and whiteheads, you might find that ORIKI Rejuvenating Cream is all you need after your acne lesions resolve.

If you have any questions, e-mail us at [email protected].
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 11, 2006, 12:56 AM
    Dachsonish, the administrator does not allow people to promote skin care products such as ORIKI on this site. Keep in mind that Slaus2 has adult acne, which is a skin condition. You do not tell a person who has adult acne to use regular skin care products on their skin. Adult acne may be difficult to treat, a person with severe acne should be examined and treated by a Dermatologist.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 11, 2006, 01:33 AM
    My wife's cousin HAD adult acne till he saw a dermatologist... he/she will find out what is causing you to break out first and then find a solution.. I have some pimple break outs here myself and there but I know mine is caused by certain foods that I LOVE and can't eat... I pay for it afterwards but I have been trying this cleansing wash from a cosmetics vendorlady that visits my wife every week and it seems to work so far... and I'm 35... so it can happen to at anyl ages... good luck..
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Mar 11, 2006, 05:57 AM
    I'm 27 and I too have suffered from adult acne occasionally... I use proactive solution and I don't mean to sound like an "infomercial" but I swear by it... especially since I have had a baby... he's a yr old and my hormones are STILL out of wack, but maybe try that stuff. Otherwise CLean and Clear acne face wash is a good one (for sensetive skin)... a dermatologist should be able to prescribe you a wash that is almost exactly the same ingredients as Pro-active and then maybe your ins. Would cover it. Hope this helps :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acne [ 6 Answers ]

Hi pals Can you please tell me what is acne , why and whom does it effect ? And what is the best solution for treating ACNE,and also tell me are pimples caused due to acne?

Laser Treatment for acne, acne scars, and red marks [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am 20yrs old and I've had acne since I was 14. This past year, my acne really flared up. I went to a dermatologist and they told me to go on Accutane. I didn't want to go on, because I already suffer from depression. They also suggested laser treatment for red marks from past acne and tiny...

Acne help [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Im 17 and I get bad Ance, I have tried most if not all of the over the counter items but Nothing really seems to work and Im going crazy please help:(

Acne [ 4 Answers ]

I'm an 18 year old male and I've had facial acne for about 3-4 years now. I've always used oxy pads twice a day and the deep cleaning face wash every morning, but I'm not getting much better results. What products do you recommend for concealment and/or cure?

Acne [ 1 Answers ]

Like to know if anyone can tell me, I get , I think a form of acne along or in my hairline, they are small blood spots they don't go away on there own, what do I do?

View more questions Search