Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nana00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Tips for holding little screws in light kit
    I tried to replace light in harbor breeze light. I broke globe, and had to take out 3 tiny screws to get inside the mess. I keep dropping them. Tried tweezers to hold, while you stand there trying not to fall off ladder. I can't believe they are so tiny. Any help appreciated.
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 29, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Im not sure how small these screws are, but I have used Vaseline on the tip of the screw driver. Kind of holds the screws.

You can also magnetize the tip of your screwdriver... :D
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 30, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Also, you can pick up screw starters (they are push clamps). You insert one into the slot and then push down on the barrell and the starter top spreads out to clamp the slot.

Also magnatized screw tips.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 30, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Or start the screws without the Globe, when all three are started Install globe and tighten.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Stratmando is correct, you need to start each screw into the fixture by just just a thread or two and then slide the globe into place.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 30, 2008, 11:29 AM
    For holding flathead screws a couple of other methods is a dab of "Slipstick" on screwhead, or fold a piece of paper over tip of screwdriver and force on screw.
    Slipstick works on Phillips and Stainless screws also.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 12:13 AM
    Are they thumbscrews?

I use strat's method usually. All the suggestions are good ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Screws into corian? [ 12 Answers ]

I am installing some corian in a boat - part of it will be a door over an icebox and needs a piece of hardware attached to it to lift it up. How can I attach the stainless steel pulltab to the corian? Can I drill and attach screws? - should the holes be tapped first or could this damage the...

Drywall screws [ 1 Answers ]

By the nec are drywall screw allowed for securing electrical componets

The guy holding my hand and the guy holding my heart aren't the same? [ 10 Answers ]

I really like my ex still and I have a new boyfriend and he's so sweet and all, but I'm still just so in love with my ex and it makes me feel bad for my new boyfriend.. I mean I told my ex that I still like him and everything but the thing is is that he has a new girlfriend and so yeah I can't...

I'm Stuck: broken screws holding bathtub drain plate [ 1 Answers ]

I have run into a problem trying to fix the mechanism in the bathtub that catches hair that otherwise might clog the bathtub drain. This is a Kohler product. I removed the round knob that moves the drain up and down. Then when I went to remove the brass screws that hold the plate underneath...

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

View more questions Search