Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nocgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Smell in bathroom that won't go away
    Sorry if this is vague but I am frustrated. I have a 2 story 4 year old tract home in Chandler, AZ. Builder is Taylor Woodrow. It has 3 1/2 bathrooms. One of the upstairs full baths, which is on the east side of the house, has had a strange odor in it for the past few weeks. It really only gets used in the mornings when my husband shaves and sometimes showers in it. It has tile floors, a normal shower/bath. It was cleaned inside and out this weekend by my step-daughter who also complained about the smell (which is like a strong urine). The toilet, floor and shower is clean, yet the smell lingers. I can even smell it walking by the bathroom without even going in it.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the odor? Where do I start to determine the source of it? None of the other bathrooms smell at all. No other strange scents in the house. Nothing leaking that we can see.

I did see some similar questions on this. Is it possible there is hair or something in the shower or sink drain causing the smell? The bathroom was used by 18 yr old step-daughter when she comes over, and now a 14 yr old step-daughter. I suppose its possible something has built up in the drains.

Update-I just went in there and sniffed around... pretty sure the smell is coming from the shower drain.

How do I get rid of it? Bleach and hot water? Do I need to call a plumber

Thank you,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 29, 2008, 07:50 PM
    OK its time for moms home recipe on drain cleaners. Tom the plumber will tell you to pour bleach in all the drains over night but mine is way more fun. Mix a 1/2 cup of table salt with 1/2 cup of baking soda and throw it into the drain and then step back and add a cup of vinegar. Allow to soak overnight followed with a bucket of really hot water. Do this in the sink and tub but not the toilet. Is it a shower/tub or a stand alone shower?
    nocgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 09:50 PM
    It's a shower/tub.

Should I attempt to pull out all the hair which is probably in there? Like with a screwdriver or something?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Forget the screw driver, it won't snag the hairball. They make a white plastic strip with little barbs on it that can be fed down the drain to pull out hair or you can try a coat hanger with a small hook on the end. Removing the drain plug may be needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad smell from bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get rid of a bad smell from my bathroom. I believe it is from the shower. We build a small house with a septic tank as a sewerage system. We finished building it in September 2007 and in April 2008 we having this bad smell. When we build the septic tank we did put the recommended...

Smell in the bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We suspect that the smell might be coming from the bath tub. (It comes and goes. When it comes, it is unbearable) We called a plumber, who poured "liquid fire" into the drain. He asked us to pour citric acid and let it stand overnight. The smell seemed to go away, but it is back. Please help.

Bathroom Smell [ 1 Answers ]

My question is I have a bathroom that is up stairs and our house is on a slab we get smell in the bathroom about the same time but not everyday and it smells like a dead animal but only smells in the one bathroom. I hve been in the attic to see if the smell is up there but it' not. I've had all the...

Bathroom smell [ 1 Answers ]

When I use the washing machine or the shower a horrible sewage smell appears. It seems like it sucks the water out of the bathroom sink. A gurgling noise is heard and then the smell appears. What can I do to eliminate the smell? I'm not sure if it's vented or even what venting is.

Bad smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have this horrible smell in my bathroom. It started about 3 weeks ago. It smells like rotten onions or really really bad BO. The smell never goes away no matter how much I clean. I have had a plumber come out and check the pea traps but everything is in working order. They have no idea what could...

View more questions Search