Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Max5150 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Installing Hunter Remote w/ Existing two wall switches
    Do I ignore the red that exists in the existing ceiling with the black, white, and ground? The red goes back to one of the switches. Does it matter which I use (black or red)? I removed an existing ceiling fan and installing another with a Hunter remote.

Thanks
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 27, 2008, 06:36 PM
    If this is a 2 3-way switch set up, the red is a traveler from one switch to the other.

Did you take notes on how the fan was wired before you took it down?>
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 27, 2008, 10:06 PM
    I would connect the black from the fan to the red and cap off the ceiling black.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

May 28, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Thanks, I connected the black to the black and capped the red. That didn't work and I did'nt want to try anything else until somebody responded. I'll try that when I get home. I also didn't have a battery for the new remote, you would think they would provide one.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Good point from above: how many switches controlled whatever was there before? Was it two switches (on opposite sides of the room) controlling the same thing, or two switches together, one controlling the light, the other the fan?

May 28, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Connecting the red did the trick.. I appreciate your help..
    Uber Member

May 28, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Glad you got it working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter Fan Installation Where there are 2 wall switches [ 5 Answers ]

I'm replacing an old ceiling fan with a Hunter fan and light. The fixture is positioned between wall switches on opposite walls and has two incoming black and white wires. The old fans I used in this room had a black wire, a white wire and a ground and all like colored wires were simply wired...

Installing outlet from existing wall switch [ 12 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls an outside light. It is at the end of the run. I want to run an outlet inside the garage from that switch. I want the outlet to only have power when the switch is on. There are two black wires attached to the switch and the two white wires are connected with a wire nut...

Wiring a remote controlled fan to run from dual switches on wall [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a new remote controlled hampton bay mediterranian fan and want to be able to control the fan and lights from wall switches as well. How do I wire it to the switches to run each separately?

Installing Wall-Mounted Remote Control - Ceiling Fan [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everybody: I am new to this board and hope there is somebody around this Memorial Day Weekend who can help. I just bought a Modern Fan Company Aurora Hugger ceiling fan and am trying to install it. This fan has no pull cords and operates on a remote that is tucked into the fan housing....

Installing Ceiling Fan Wall Remote with Red & Black Wires? [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to install a Hampton Bay Wall Remote Control that transmits a signal to a receiver that I will install behind the Ceiling Fan assembly. Problem: Remote instructions state to connect the 2 Black wires from the wall switch to the new Remote switch. The wall switch has a Red and a...

View more questions Search