Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ratherbeoutside Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 08:07 PM
    How do I accept the person my wife had an affair with
    We were married for 14 years, we had three children. After discovering that my wife was using drugs, having an affair and putting our children in a bad environment, I got a divorce and now have full custody of our children. My wife who is almost 40, had an affair with the person she was using drugs with, he is a 25 year old boy. Now I believe they are married. The court ordered her to keep him away from our kids, but now that they are married, I don't think I can stop them from being around him (I don't think she knows this). My question is, should I be expected to accept him? And how? He is part of our lives now, but I can't stand him. I have never met him and I don't want to because I think I would hurt him. I would love to hear from someone else who has been in the same situation.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeoutside
    The court ordered her to keep him away from our kids, but now that they are married, I dont think I can stop them from being around him (I dont think she knows this). .
    Sounds to me as though you had a lawyer. Perhaps you didn't. By marrying this guy, your ex may have forfeited her visitation. There has been a change in condition since the initial custody determination, so request a modification which limits her to two hours per day, one day per week, visitation.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 22, 2008, 09:33 PM
    You don't have to accept him, especially if he is putting your children in harms way.

Get a lawyer, see if you could have your ex and the other guy, drug tested [ urine, blood, hair ]. Maybe you could have child social services "visit" the place of residence?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 02:01 PM
    I agree, your first priority is to protect your children from harm. If that harm is in the form of their mother and her drug supplier that is the consequences she must pay. Go back to court and get sole custody and try and get the judge to terminate her parental rights.
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

May 23, 2008, 02:17 PM
    No you do nit have accept him he is a jerk, and quite frankly so is your wife. It's now your job to be a good father and make your kkids your first priorty let your personnel feelings about this jerk aside and just be a great dad
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 02:27 PM
    No, you don't even have to ever see or meet him if you don't want, OK at some of the kids events they may come but it is OK to be rude to him if you wish. Now down the road if you find a new love and she is perfect, you may think he is the best friend, since if not for him you may have never meet your perfect mate.
    Moose1123 Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Jun 5, 2008, 12:36 PM
    If you have full custody of your kids and a court order for the new husband to stay away, then he is not a part of your lives now. He is a part of your ex wife's life. You do not have to accept him. You do not have to let your kids around him. Full custody is full custody. You make the decisions. If their mother wishes to see the kids it is on your terms not hers. She can take you to court to request partial custody. Does she have any visitation rights? If so since you have a court order that states he must stay away... then he must stay away. You can request supervised visits. Your kids come first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Wife had an affair [ 14 Answers ]

My wife and I have been (what seemed) to be happily married for 10 years,we have 2 children,back in Feb she was indicating something was wrong and wanted to see a therapist,so it was arranged not immediately but shortly after,she has been the MOST trusting person I have honestly ever met,so the...

My wife had an affair [ 23 Answers ]

My wife had an affair and it has ended. She said it was a mistake and she doesn't talk to him anymore. I khow this is a lie, because I checked her phone records and they talk a lot to each other. She is very defensive when I bring the affair up. I am tired of being lied to. What should I do?

Wife is having an affair . [ 4 Answers ]

I feel cornered and don't know where To turn for help; my life is hell and torture day in day out. I really hope that somebody maybe will be able to Advice me what to do. Here is my story in a nutshell. My wife and I are married for 18 years, 2 kids. I suffered from depression for a number of...

My wife had an affair. Now what should I do? [ 7 Answers ]

Me and my wife have been married since 2001 and were monogamously dating since 1998. We had a perfect friendship and marriage. During the summer of 2006, I purchased three tickets for her and out two children to visit family members outside the U.S.. They left in August and returned in November;...

My wife is having an affair [ 4 Answers ]

My wife has been having an affair for the last 3 months. She finally told me about it constant questioning for the last month+. She told me that she was going to stop until the divorce was finalized, but it seems that it is continuing. Is there anything legally I can do to remove her from the...

View more questions Search