Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Batkinson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Electrical conduit behind sheetrock
    I work as a consultant to the NYC School Construction authority. We usually inspect low-voltage applications for temperature controls and the associated equipment. Typically, whenever we see a thermostat in the wall, it has a j-box and conduit running from the box to the drop ceiling, and the wire is then in midair (with anchors) till it gets to the vent motor. I have also seen instances where there is no sort of conduit, and the wire is run behind the sheetrock unprotected.
    Is there anything in the NEC or somewhere in the NYC Building/Electrical codes that require any sort of cable to be run fully through conduit through a drop ceiling or behind sheetrock?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 22, 2008, 07:56 AM
    May I suggest that you call the electrical inspectors that are responsible for this school.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Think of it this way. No one is going to get hurt jabbing a nail into a thermostat line. It's low voltage power limited and usually no one cares whether it's protected or not

That conduit to above the drop does do a few things. 1) install is more rigid and professional, 2) New wires can be run easily, 3) It's protected.

I usually put a cord connector above the ceiling too. This would also serve as a fire stop.

Under NO Conditions should wires be laid across the suspended ceiling. They should be suspended in hooks from beam clamps and rods or in a wire raceway.

If the ceiling is a return air space then plenum cable should be run.

The NYC Construction Authority needs to have guidleines for construcion workers to adhere too and that needs to be well known.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I prevent water/condensation from entering electrical conduit? [ 4 Answers ]

One of my circuit breakers started tripping last Friday night. It would trip even when I wasn't using the electrical outlets or lights. Since it wasn't an overloading issue, I replaced the circuit breaker but that didn't solve the problem. So, I concluded it has to be a short circuit. I checked...

Running two wires through electrical conduit [ 4 Answers ]

I want to supply power to run some power tools and shop lights out in my detached garage which has no electricity at all right now. I want to run two separate circuits and I'm using a buried electrical conduit with the wires inside. Since it's two separate circuits do I need two conduits or can I...

Can I run a electrical line in the same conduit as phone and cable? [ 9 Answers ]

Aloha All, I built a little 8'x12' office that is approximately 185ft from my main house. I was planning on running a electric, phone, and cable line in an underground conduit from my house to the office. Can I just use 20A romex for the electrical line that will be tapped off an exterior...

Electrical conduit lets in cold air from outside [ 5 Answers ]

The 2" plastic condiut that feeds electrical lines from the circuit panel (unconditioned garage) to the attic and basement is essentially a clear path from the unconditioned attic to the basement. This allows freezing air to flow in from the attic to the basement. I would like to stop this airflow...

Sheetrock [ 3 Answers ]

What is 'fire tape'? Can 'green board' be used on ceilings? What are the various coatings on nails and screws and what are their uses?

View more questions Search