Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kimmyg Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Leaky sewage pipe I think?
    I think my sewage pipe is leaking. I have a pipe that is in my basement underneath my bathroom (it's a fairly wide pipe). It seems to be leaking a brown substance every now and again that has a bad smell. There is a brown residue on the outside of the pipe. It seems to be at the connection of two pipes. The pipe has a few areas where it is connected to other pipes and this residue, although it is mostly accumulating in one area seems to have accumulated a little in other areas as well. There seems to be a connector at the leak site. I'm scared this is going to cost me a fortune to fix. The pipe is iron I think. Any advice? Please help! Is there an easy fix to this? Something I can apply to the exterior ot the pipes to eliminate the leakage? Or will I have to replace my sewer lines?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Hi Kimmy:

Those sound like they are cast iron pipes... and that residue may be an oil like substance associated with the OAKUM under the lead at the bell joints you are talking about.

If you only see this residue on the pipe... and no more than a drop or two of discoloration on the floor under these joints... then you really don't need to worry about this issue.

If you can confirm leakage, pooling of water/sewage on floor under any of these joints.. then may be a leak, but most of the time this is just oily oakum they used in packing the old cast iron pipes. Also, double check the odor thing... if I'm right there should not be a smell associated with this??

I think you are fine.. but if want to be absolutely sure check what I suggested and then, if still not sure, post a PICTURE of these joints so we can be sure.

Let me know what you think... MARK

May 21, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Okay... the brown stuff doesn't smell... it is oily like you said. But it is dripping down the pipe and the spot on the group where it has dripped measures about 3 inches in diameter. More than a drip or two but nothing huge. I have pics.

As for the smell... I have a gas escape pipe (not sure that is the technical term for it), but it is supposed to have a cap on it... and the cap was not there when I bought the house. Could this be why I have the smell?

Okay... took the pics. How do I attach them. They are too big to attach and I don't know how to make a url... could you help me with that too? Thank you so much for your help... I truly appreciate it.

[
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Hi kimmy:

When posting like normal you will see a GO ADVANCED button under the post box (write a few words in box then proceed). Click on that... then scroll down to the MANAGE ATTACHMENT button... new window pops up here... then click on BROWSE button, then find pictures you want to post, click on the pics (double click), then back at the browse window you will see the UPLOAD button... click on that (should upload the pic.)... then if have more than 1 pic, just repeat the steps.

If pics/files too big, next to the MANAGE ATTACHMENT button is a link to bring you to a conversion site to reduce the file size.. click on that (called NEEVIA program I think) and reduce file, then save to computer and repeat the steps I suggested earlier... let us know how it goes. I will keep my eyes open for you... MARK

May 21, 2008, 05:07 PM
    It's still not working. I don't know what is wrong. I have them on snapfish. Could I email them to you?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2008, 05:32 PM
    YUP!

E-mail...

[email protected]

I'll check in early AM... goodnight!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky Pipe Thread [ 10 Answers ]

I am threading a male 3/4 in. copper connector into a female cast metal valve body. The first time I used 3 wraps of teflon tap and it leaked. The second time I used Master Pumber TFE past and it leaked after 10 minutes. I allowed the paste to dry for 1/2 hour before turning on the water supply....

Leaky drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Can a clogged bathtub PVC Drain pipe cause a leak at a connection site?

Leaky pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Just one more problem. We have a pipe that leaks a little, enough to make a round circle on our drop ceiling. It is wrapped with black insullation. We plan on going to the hardware store to get some stuff I believe is called dope putty. I saw my plumber use it once to stop our toilet pipe...

Leaky pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I just took possession of a house and when we did our final inspection we fond that there was a cracked pipe that leaked water when the upstairs toilet was flushed.the pipe in question is located in the basement.it comes out of the wall and goes into the ground.the pipe was repaired but...

Leaky pipe [ 7 Answers ]

My water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do I fix it

View more questions Search