Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

May 18, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Is there a maximum number of conductors coming into receptacle or switch box?
    I'm finishing my basement and in process of wiring it. I was wondering if the NEC code specified a maximum number of 12-3 or 14-3 wires coming into an outlet or switch box. I have heard two different opinions on this. One opinion was that I could only run two wires into a standard single gang outlet/switch box and 4 into a deep box. The other opinion was that I could run as many wires in as there were holes or slots for wiring built into the box. So if I had a Carlon single gang box which has 2 openings in the top and 2 in the bottom, I could run 4 wires in. Whereas a 2 gang switch box has 4 opening on top and 4 on bottom meaning I could run 8 wires in. Any help would be apprciated. I'm wanting to run another couple wires into a double gang box where I now have 3 wires in already.
    Thanks,
    Dave

May 18, 2008, 08:52 AM
    After reading another post about the issue, it looks like the printing inside the box says, 16/14, 14/12, 12/10. Does this mean I can run 5 pulls of 14/3 w/ gnd into the box(15 total wires)? Or 16 pulls of 14/3 w. gnd? (seems like an aweful lot.)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 18, 2008, 08:58 AM
    That is the number of conductors. This is not as simple as it seems.

#14 has a volume allowance of 2 cu/in
    #12 has a volume allowance of 2.25 cu/in

Each CCC (current carrying conductor), basically anything except a ground, is ONE conductor.
    ALL the grounds combined count as ONE conductor.
    EACH device mounted in a box is counted as TWO conductors.
    ALL internal cable clamps combined inside the box are counted as ONE conductor.
    These are all based on the largest conductor in the box.

So a single gang box with a receptacle and two clamps, and two 14/2 cables, would have a volume of 8 conductors, or 16 cu/in.

May 18, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Stanfortyman, when you say "cable clamps" what are you referring to? Wire nuts?

May 18, 2008, 09:55 AM
    No, the clamps that hold the cables in the back of the box.
    Most metal device boxes come with them. Only some plastic boxes do.
    Most plastic boxes have molded in clamps which don't count.

May 18, 2008, 09:59 AM
    OK, I gotcha. I'm using all plastic Carlon boxes with the clamps built into the top and bottom of the box. It all seems more complicated than it has to be. Thanks for your advice.

May 18, 2008, 10:08 AM
    No problem.
    I guess when you do this stuff every day you don't even think about it anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many conductors is to many [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 gang plastic nail on box with 2 14/3 and 3 14/2 will I get away with that on a inspection

Branching a Receptacle from a Square-D pressure switch [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house that is serviced by a well. The pressure tank is located outside next to the house in a small shed. The previous owner wired a receptacle into the square-D pressure switch to allow them to power a light bulb to keep the pipes from freezing. The circuit is protected...

Switch Controlling Half of a Receptacle issue. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm having a slight issue, and I don't know what I did. I replaced all of my outlets with a newer style. However, one (half of an) outlet USED TO be controlled by a switch that's 5 feet away. Now this switch does nothing. The outlet is completely hot at all times on both outlets. ...

Combination switch and receptacle? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install a combination switch and receptacle. I presently just have a light switch? Thank You.

Maximum Number of Fixtures on 1/2" Supply Line [ 3 Answers ]

What is the maximum number of fixtures allowed on a 1/2" CPVC branch supply line? I currently have a bathroom sink, kitchen sink, bath tub faucet, and toilet supply line for a total of 4. Is this allowed by the International Plumbing Code 2006 version? Please quote where I can find this...

View more questions Search