Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anongirl17 Posts: 50, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Torn between two potential first cars!
    I'm really excited about getting my first car and have had my heart set on a VW Lupo for quite some time. These are difficult to get hold of in my area but I have seen a few, usually around the £3000 mark for a 1 litre engine car between 6 and 8 years old.

However, I have just seen a VW Fox which is a 1.2 litre engine, 2 years old and with many features (such as electric windows and central locking) that the Lupo does not have, which has done only 5000 miles! This car is £4500, just within my budget but obviously a lot more than the Lupos I have been looking at. It looks like a much better deal than a Lupo. The only thing is that I love the cuteness of Lupos and find the Fox quite an unattractive car.

I am now torn between the two. If I get the Fox I will always be looking at Lupos and thinking how much more attractive they are, but if I get the Lupo I will be thinking about how I could have got a much newer and better equipped car for not a great deal more money. Another problem in engine size - I love to travel and will want to drive considerable distances in my car. A 1 litre engine might not be up to the journeys I have in mind. The insurance looks to be the same whichever I choose.

Does anyone have any experience with one or both of these cars, or any tips for making the right choice?

Thanks,
    Laura
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 17, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Honestly, save you money and get a cheap run about, sub £1,000, and build up your no claims discount.
    You are likely to have an accident within a few years of passing your test, si better to break a cheap car than a more expensive one.

As a side, VW parts tend to be expensive.
    A similar car is the Ford fiesta, cheap to run, insure and repair.
    anongirl17 Posts: 50, Reputation: 4

May 18, 2008, 04:08 AM
    I did consider that, but I'm going to university next year in a very remote and rugged area so I really need a car that won't fall apart on me. I get attached easily so I'm likely to keep the car for many years too.
    Mr_am Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

May 18, 2008, 11:55 PM
    Same answer as Curlyben... careful selection when you buy saves you trouble later (choose a reputed brand). No need to get most rcent model.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Torn between the 2 [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I'm 17 years old and there is this guy that the past 6 to 7 months We've been talking but he never seemed to want to be my boyfriend so it made me want him even more! Time went by and now he is in love with me but sometimes I feel I waited to long for him and now I lost interest,but I think...

Will Chapter 7 impact my home / cars / job potential? [ 5 Answers ]

I am considering filing Chapter 7 and hope to get a few questions answered. I will not file if it would impact my home and cars. Basically, I have a significant amount of credit card debt and that, along with mortgage, car payments, student loan payments, and medical bills have put my wife and I...

Torn in two [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This will be a longish question, I apologize in advance. My boyfriend of 4 years chose to end our relationship in February. We had lived together for 2 years. After 6 weeks he contacted me, telling me he had made a terrible mistake and wanted to come "home." I said no, moving back...

I'm torn. [ 4 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years. We dated a short while before this and it ended because he went away to school and he thought It wouldn't work out. I was heart broken and I tried to move on by dating other people. Nine months later we started talking everyday, he came to visit every...

Torn about my ex-gf [ 7 Answers ]

I broke up with my girlfriend about 5 months ago. We broke up mainly because she was starting a new school and would be very busy. We both still had feelings for each other, and there were some moments after the break up where we almost did get back together, but for some reason or another...

View more questions Search