Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    customkirsten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 02:00 AM
    Process server lied about service date!
    I was recently served an Unlawful Detainer by the son of the Landlords attorney. He served me on the 18th of April but claimed to the court through his documentation that he served me on the 16th! When I went to the court house to file my Answer to the Unlawful Detainer the clerk told me a Default had been requested and granted against me the day before because I had not filed my answer within the 5 day period allotted to me. Now I have been served by the Sheriffs dept and have till Monday the 19th to be out. The entire eviction process is suspect... the landlord (I believe) has used "Self Help" measures to get me out including, having my power turned off (I pay the bill), illegally towing my car from an unmarked parking space used by many other tenants, as well as towing a friends truck right out of my garage! Then she locked me out of my own garage for two days! She has spread vicious lies about me to other tenants as well as raising ONLY my rent just prior to giving me a hand typed "30 EVICTION Notice" alleging I took a bathroom door out of one empty unit in order to swap it out with my own damaged door! NEVER HAPPENED! She prorated my rent for "eviction", refused any further payments for extended duration of tenancy. She waited a month in a half till my husband left and attempted to have her husband serve (co owner) serve me with proper notice and 3 day pay or quit! Now Im about to be homeless with two small children! What can I do about this process server and the landlord? HELP!
    Also, I would like to know how to track how many times an unregistered process server has served legal documents in the last year and or prior years.
    How do I handle the perjury committed by this kid/son of acting attourney
    Kirsten E
    So. California
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Go back to the court immediately and file a motion to vacate the default judgment and a motion to stay the eviction. Then you should be given a new court date and you'll have the opportunity to tell the judge everything. Make sure you let the judge know that the landlord had your utilities turned off even though the bill is in your name. That is illegal.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 15, 2008, 07:16 AM
    [QUOTE=customkirsten]I was recently served an Unlawful Detainer by the son of the Landlords attorney. He served me on the 18th of April but claimed to the court through his documentation that he served me on the 16th! When I went to the court house to file my Answer to the Unlawful Detainer the clerk told me a Default had been requested and granted against me the day before because I had not filed my answer within the 5 day period allotted to me. Now I have been served by the Sheriffs dept and have till Monday the 19th to be out. The entire eviction process is suspect... the landlord (I believe) has used "Self Help" measures to get me out including, having my power turned off (I pay the bill), illegally towing my car from an unmarked parking space used by many other tenants, as well as towing a friends truck right out of my garage! Then she locked me out of my own garage for two days! She has spread vicious lies about me to other tenants as well as raising ONLY my rent just prior to giving me a hand typed "30 EVICTION Notice" alleging I took a bathroom door out of one empty unit in order to swap it out with my own damaged door! NEVER HAPPENED! She prorated my rent for "eviction", refused any further payments for extended duration of tenancy. She waited a month in a half till my husband left and attempted to have her husband serve (co owner) serve me with proper notice and 3 day pay or quit! Now Im about to be homeless with two small children! What can I do about this process server and the landlord? HELP!
    Also, I would like to know how to track how many times an unregistered process server has served legal documents in the last year and or prior years.
    How do I handle the perjury committed by this kid/son of acting attourney

Lisa took care of what to do next and the legality/illegality of the eviction.

Okay - the process server - there is almost no way to track down the activities of a process server, what he/she has served, how many services have been questioned, how many have held up in Court. I don't know what you mean by an unregistered process server. There are various categories in California ranging from Police Officers to Licensed Private Investigators to registered process servers. Which category was the server in? Once you know that you know where/how to report the false Affidavit.

In NYS process servers keep a journal of what is served, where, when, how in the event process is questioned BUT the info on services provided to one law firm is confidential to that firm and is not available to any other party unless it is subpoenaed.

As Lisa said - you have to go to Court and fight, present an argument concerning the service and attempt to get it set aside. It will buy you time because if the landlord wants you out you will simply be served again.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Lets put this in some perspective. Your landlord clearly wants you out. For more than 30 days she has been abusing you. So why haven't you found a new place to live? Why would you want to stay there?

I can understand if you need more time to find a new place. Then doing what Lisa said will buy you some time. But, if your lease has expired and she wants you out, then out you go.

Once you have moved (and make sure you do a walkthru witnessed by a third party), you can then file suit against the landlord. As Lisa noted, shutting off utilities, locking you out, etc. are illegal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make Cleints server from Main server? [ 3 Answers ]

I am having Internet connection at one computer and I want to share the internet with other computers. Will that is possible the same connection is used with other 4 to 5 computers or at least one computer.

Downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server procedure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. Recently I planned to buy a server with windows 2k server OS. Unfortunately I was told that win 2k server will be no longer in support at 2007.:confused: What happen is that the application I need to run is under win 2k server only, can anyone advise me how to perform the downgrade...

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

Question on placed-in-service date [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question regarding the placed-in-service date for rental property. I had a room ready as a rental in which the renter moved-in during the same month. Their first rental payment was the beginning of the next month. Therefore, is the placed-in-service date when the room was...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search