Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anongirl17 Posts: 50, Reputation: 4

May 13, 2008, 06:48 AM
    The bass just went on both speakers?
    Hi,

I'll admit I was being silly. My next door neighbour has appalling taste in music so I was trying to drown it out with a bit (okay a lot) of Velvet Revolver when suddenly... the bass in BOTH speakers went. I'm not very knowledgeable about things like this but I do know that those speakers were extortionately expensive and they belong to my mother. She never uses them but I feel awful and I'm not looking forward to telling her. What I don't understand is how both went at exactly the same moment... Is there anything else that could have happened? I've had my music louder than that in the past and it was fine then.
    Any help would be tremendously appreciated, thank you.

Laura
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Just trying to make a little sense. The speakers are separates with both a woofer and a tweeter, correct? Only the bass part of the speaker is not working, correct?

Here are my thoughts:

Usually an amp has a DC protection system which wlll kick in and stop all output until the power is turned back on again. Speaker cabinets, themselves sometimes have a fuse, behind the grill or somewhere, but they usually protect only the high frequency drivers (Tweeters). The crossover could have broken, but that's an unlikely scenereo.

Both woofers breaking at the same time would not be unusual. I've seen tweeter fuses blow at the same time.

In any event, the drivers (woofers) should both be replaced at the same time for the best sound UNLESS the identical speaker can be had as a replacement.

Assuming no tools, you can determine if something is wrong with the speaker by:

1) disconnecting the speaker from the amp and connecting a "D" battery across it's terminals. The cone will move in or out depending on polarity.

Inspect the speaker for any signs of fuses.

Then the woofer can be removed and the same test preformed. If the cone moves the woofers are OK unless there is visible damage on the surround.

Speaker polarity is important for correct sound. Pay attention to wire colors and markings /colors on the speakers.
    anongirl17 Posts: 50, Reputation: 4

May 13, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Yes the speakers are separates with a woofer and a tweeter, but I'm not 100% sure which part isn't working. I think it's the bass because when I adjust the bass setting nothing happens, but when I alter treble etc. it does change.

I think I'm going to have to get someone to look at it because I know nothing about the anatomy of speakers and will probably electrocute myself... I have a friend who may know what he's doing so I shall show him your reply, I'm sure it will be of use.

Thank you very much for your help.

Laura
    str33t punk Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Jun 4, 2008, 06:19 AM
    It could have been that your amp was bigger than your sub.. like if you have a 100watt amp hooked up to a 800watt sub.. if this is the case you probable blew your speakers or at least part of it.. or something could be rong with the electromagnet because it uses a pulse of positive and negative charges to move.. check to see what your watts are in your sub and amp then check the magnet itself.. let me know how that works and by the way I'm only 14 hehe.:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

E flat bass music [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what key E-flat bass (or E-flat tuba) music is written in? Is it in E-flat or concert pitch?

New power cord for bass amp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a old bass amp with a 2-conductor cord & plug. Lately, I've been working in a basement studio & I've been getting shocks if I touch the microphone while I'm playing. Would changing to more modern 3-conductor power cable solve this problem? If so, how to I attach the third (ground) wire to...

Bass fishing [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best method to fish for bass?

The Bangles bass player [ 1 Answers ]

The bass player for the bangles from the early 80's to 2005 was Michael Steele. I've never heard her name spoken out loud, and I would like to know how it is pronounced. Is it Mike-All or Mick-Kay-All? Also, I'd like to know why she left the band in 2005. Thank you.

View more questions Search