Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Justerini Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 9, 2008, 01:24 AM
    Door 'Cushions' or 'sausages' to stop wind blowing in? What filler should one use?
    I wonder what you call these? I am looking for a suitable filler to fill in these door stops/wind breaks - basically fabric tubes that sit on the floor of the door to stop the cold from coming in - would one use river sand? Can anyone help? Thanks:confused:
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 9, 2008, 01:33 AM
    I call it a door cozy. I've made quite a few. I've found that sand stains fabric. If you are thinking of using fabric to make one, I suggest using rice as a filler. Make sure to use the smallest stitch available to avoid leaking. I've made some crocheted ones, and used kidney beans in those.

I think this is more crafting than home improvement, but I can see how it fits in here. Hope this helps!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 01:50 AM
    For someone like me, who might have trouble making sure that everything is tight so that nothing comes out, I think that I would use the kidney beans.
    Vision Expert

May 9, 2008, 02:29 AM
    Sometimes I use those in the sewn fabrics ones as well. Rice seems to work the best in those though... they seem to hold out more air.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 02:39 AM
    That's an excellent point about the density of the fill and air! I hadn't thought about that...
    Vision Expert

May 9, 2008, 02:44 AM
    Yes indeedio!! Hope this helps you, Justerini!
    Justerini Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 9, 2008, 03:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I call it a door cozy. I've made quite a few. I've found that sand stains fabric. If you are thinking of using fabric to make one, I suggest using rice as a filler. Make sure to use the smallest stitch available to avoid leaking. I've made some crocheted ones, and used kidney beans in those.

I think this is more crafting than home improvement, but I can see how it fits in here. Hope this helps!
    Thanks so much - rice brilliant idea, never thought of it - had miserable thoughts of sand - yay!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mildew on chair cushions [ 1 Answers ]

How can I safely remove mildew from canvas blue and white striped cushions?

Kenmore Dryer won't stop when I open the door [ 2 Answers ]

Everything works fine, drys fine, except that when I want to get something out early or check the clothes and open the door the dryer keeps spinning and doesn't stop. Is there a sensor or knob stuck?

Furnace won't stop blowing air - replaced the thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol U-29A that is probably about 8 years old. I don't when it started, but sometime over the summer it began acting up. The blower does not stop blowing air unless I turn off the furnace at the circuit breaker. The AC unit outside turns on and off through the thermostat, but the...

Outdoor chair cushions [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get mildew stains from outdoor chair cushions

View more questions Search