Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    claudipint2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Pruning bushes
    I have six bushes of Texas purple sage. They are on each end of my house in the flower beds. They have gotten too big and I need to know if I can cut them back like a lot? The leaves on the bottoms have gotton very sparse. Would appreciate any feed back. Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 03:22 AM
    I'm not sure where you are located. It would be helpful to know that. Around where I live, in the late winter or early spring would be a good time to do a severe or rejuvenation pruning.
    marymack55 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Two pruning tips--If something flowers, usual pruning time is immediately after the bloom period is over. If it is huge and you want a more manageble size, do NOT whack back more than a third of the growth at each season; this is very important if you have to look at the plant--nubs tend to not be very attractive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lilac Bushes [ 5 Answers ]

The lilac bushes in our yard stopped blooming about three years ago. Is there anything we can do to these bushes to revive them?

Crown pruning a birch tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a large (50-60 foot) birch tree on the southeast corner of my lot. It origionally had three trunks. I cut off the smallest (10" in diameter) last year as it grew out horizontally from the ground and was starting to block the dirveway. Now I have a 16" trunk and a 24" trunk that start...

Radically Pruning Multi-Stem Maple Trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have 32 multi-stem maple trees that are a nightmare to keep trimmed. They were originally planted as a hedge between this property and two others. They were already 10+ feet tall when I bought this house and each year, I struggle to keep them at that height. I even bought a Komatsu RedMAx long...

View more questions Search