Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dselcoda69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Setting jacuzzi tub on concrete floor
    I have a new home with roughed in plumbing in the basement for a bathroom. I have purchased a fiberglass jacuzzi style tub. Besides framing, the manufacturer recommends some type of base to set the tub on, on top of the concrete floor, but is very nonspecific about what this material should be. The local home-improvement store rep suggested sand or mortar.
    I'm thinking more like some type of spray foam that would form to the bottom of the tub and stay put; and also insulate.
    Is there a standard method and what do you recommend?
    JaiJaiW Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dselcoda69
    I have a new home with roughed in plumbing in the basement for a bathroom. I have purchased a fiberglass jacuzzi style tub. Besides framing, the manufacturer recommends some type of base to set the tub on, on top of the concrete floor, but is very nonspecific about what this material should be. The local home-improvement store rep suggested sand or mortar.
    I'm thinking more like some type of spray foam that would form to the bottom of the tub and stay put; and also insulate.
    Is there a standard method and what do you recommend?
    We first put down a large pool of "leveling cement" and pushed the tub down into it. Then, after that was set we used some of the spray foam that you mention to fill in any gaps. This has been in place for about 2 years now with no problems.

Jaimie
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Hey dselcoda:

Jamie gave good information... but stay away from the foams as these can overexpand and could cause issues you just don't need.

In my area we primarily use a perlited STRUCTOLITE gypsum plaster to set our tubs in (see pic.)... great as insulator, too.

Structolite is super easy to mix... then install 2-3 inches deep along the "footprint" of the tub... then lower into mixture, fill the tub about 1/2 to 3/4 full of water for 24-48 hours and that tub will never be an issue for you.

We also have a rather handy guy online here that likes to use the premixed modified thinset mortar in a tub... his instructions are very similar to mine. I think his way may be easier in terms of mixing, but more expensive in terms of cost (structolite costs about $9.00/bag)... unless you have lots of left over from old jobs like he does... huh bob... ;)?

Hope that helps... Mark

Attached Images

ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

May 7, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Do NOT use spray foam, yes it expands and fills all the voids but when you step in the fiberglass tub the foam will compact down and then there will be a void between the foam and the tub, next time you step in, it will crack and that's the end of your fiberglass jacuzzi.
    I called the manufactuer on mine and they recommended using two to three 80lb bags of mortor mix. Mix it up dump it in the middle the length of the tub and set your tub down until its level and let it set. DONE
    wilng1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Structolite is the way to go. Make sure you use it. If you just set it on the subfloor, the empty spaces in between the foam feet that come attached to the bottom of the tub will be bending points when you step into the tub. They have no support and will eventually crack if you step in or your kids jump in the tub. I've seen 8 year old tubs that have cracked because people had just set it on a subfloor or even elevated the tub. The entire bottom of the tub needs support.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2009, 04:46 AM
    Let me add my two cents. I totally agree about not using foam as a bedding agent.
    Foam consists mainly of air bubbles and in time they will compress leaving a gap.
    Follow the above advice but forget the foam. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting a tile floor to a stained concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about taking up the tile in my kitchen and staining the concrete underneath it, but I don't know if it will be possible to get up all the stains left on the concrete from the tile. I do not want to take up the tile if there is too much of a possibility that the tile stains won't come...

Setting Tile on Shower Floor and Walls [ 3 Answers ]

We are about to begin setting the tile in the shower. Which should we do first? The floor or the walls?

Floor Tile, Concrete floor is sealed. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace carpet with tile on concrete floor but concrete is sealed with some coating. Do I have to prime this or remove sealant?

Setting toilet on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Our new house in the country is built on a slope, with the septic tank downhill from the house. The plumbers installed all necessary supply and drains for a basement bathroom. I will not need an up flushing toilet, but am not sure how to mount the toilet. All I have is a 4" pipe sticking out of...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

View more questions Search