Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sallyasdf Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

May 6, 2008, 03:22 PM
    How should I teach her about God?
    In my school there is this girl that thinks about killing herself. She is in her brothers gang and cuts her arms. She has told people that she thinks about killing herself, and has almost killed someone. She is not dangerous anymore. I would really like to teach her about god. I am wondering just how I would do that. Any Ideas??
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 03:39 PM
    First, you can't teach anyone unless they are willing to learn.

That being said, just bringing up the subject in casual conversation would be the best way to start. This way, you are just talking, no pressure, she won't feel that you are trying to convert her or brain wash her.

Once you see how she responds to having God in a conversation, then you can better judge how willing she is to accept even talking about it.

From there, having an easy to understand bible would be good, and remembering not to pressure her, she already has had authority issues and I think that if any pressure is detected she will only rebel.

Good luck with your endeavor!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 04:27 PM
    1. Let them see your god ( sorry don't know what god) living in your. In Christianity this is suppose to be the idea, that people can see something special in your life by the way you live, when they are eating at your home, the fact you always say a prayer before you eat, when you are eating at school, you would even say your prayer before you eat. When you get mad or bad things happen, you show the difference in your faith in the way you react. This is the best witness of all, in how they see you live. Then she would normally ask you about your faith or ask you why you do something "different"

I have a fiend who wears a buttom that says," ask me about it" I was afraid to at first , afraid it was Amway or something, but it was a chance to tell someone about Christ that asked them about the buttom.
    ]
    Beyond everything, first remember gangs can be dangerous, and trying to talk a gang member out of it, can be very very dangerous.
    ** depending on the actual gang. And people who cut need professional help beyond what most of us are able to give.

So I guess I have said all the things of how not to directly talk to her, but you would bring it up in nomral talk normally, if she curses ** not saying she does, have you asked her not to, since it offends your belief in God, and she may ask why and so on.

Or if nothing else, let her know that you care and worry about her and that God does to Just don't push it too hard
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Invite her to go to church with you on Sunday with your family. Then, take her out to brunch after the service and talk about what the minister said.

Ask her to go to church with you the following Sunday. Take her out to brunch with your family and some friends and talk about the service.

Ask her and her parents to church the next Sunday... take them out to brunch and have a lively discussion.

And so on...
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 05:21 PM
    I tend to bring up issues of "god" with my children emphasising that "God" resides within their hearts-for example, thinking about doing the right things morally etc. is the manifestation of "God" in my opinion...

Disclaimer: I'm a Buddhist, but this doesn't stop me from advising my children/others about "God" from their perspective and level of understanding. (attn: Fr Chuck, meant in a friendly way).
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

May 18, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sallyasdf
    In my school there is this girl that thinks about killing herself. She is in her brothers gang and cuts her arms. she has told people that she thinks about killing herself, and has almost killed someone. she is not dangerous anymore. I would really like to teach her about god. I am wondering just how i would do that. Any Ideas???
    I doubt that telling her about what you BELIEVE to exist will change the way she thinks about herself.

The proof is in the pudding : you should with your behaviour based on your worldview be an example for her first. Once she realizes where your (positive) lifestyle is based upon, it is time to start bringing up your personal religious views.
    If you do it the other way around, she will hold you for another of the many religious know-betters.

Do you have any idea why this girl thinks that way? What makes her threaten to kill herself?
    Should that not be the start of your communication with her? :rolleyes:
    Mr_am Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

May 18, 2008, 11:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    I doubt that telling her about what you BELIEVE to exist will change the way she thinks about herself.

The proof is in the pudding : you should with your behaviour based on your worldview be an example for her first. Once she realizes where your (positive) lifestyle is based upon, it is time to start bringing up your personal religious views.
    If you do it the other way around, she will hold you for another of the many religious know-betters.

Do you have any idea why this girl thinks that way? What makes her threaten to kill herself?
    Should that not be the start of your communication with her? :rolleyes:
    :) I totally agree with you... good answer.!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 4, 2008, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_am
    :) I totally agree with you ... good answer. !!
    Thanks Mr._am.

I always wonder why so many Christians have no problems pushing up their religious beliefs onto others, while nearly almost all fail even to try living themselves accordingly to their own religious standards.
    They should with their own behaviour be an example for living as a Christian, and spread that way of life in an empirical way.

;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you have a felony can you still teach [ 2 Answers ]

I was convicted with a felony. Can I still teach in Colorado?

Will I ever be able to Teach with a Felony? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was charged with attempted second degree aggravated battery on my husband. I am on 2 years probation with no jail time. I am a graduate from LSUS and I am planning on returning back to school to get my masters in Education, but I have a felony. I have talked to some teachers and they...

We teach others how to treat us [ 7 Answers ]

Do you think this is true "that we teach others how to treat us". I am wondering if anyone has any experience in this subject?

How can I teach him to communicate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for just under 2 years. I really love this guy and have thoroughly enjoyed being with him... however, a problem that comes up periodically is that he seems to lack the ability to communicate about tough topics. We can chat and laugh about the normal things all day...

Should I teach? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if you could advise me concerning my current education situation. I'm a sophomore tunring into a junior at Rowan University and I was pursuing a major in English and certification to be a teacher. I wanted to be a high school or middle school English/Literature teacher, but I...

View more questions Search