Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoochy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Retail Theft question
    I am applying to nursing school. This is my second degree. It states on the application that I need to have a clear criminal record. I was arrested at age 18 for retail theft. It was a stupid teenage prank, but I know I was old enough to know better. This was in 1993. My record shows that I pled guilty, and paid the fine. My record has been clean since. Will this keep me out of nursing school?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2006, 04:53 PM
    Maybe, nursing school is very competitive, so there are many students wanting in, so any negative issue can cause you to not get picked.

You should try and get an attorney and see if you can get this record esponged. ( taken off your record)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 08:10 PM
    If you live in Canada, you can apply for a pardon.

That is, have it removed from your record.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Hello smoochy:

It's probably too late to keep it from your school. They WILL find out about it. My advice is to disclose it, admit culpability, and concentrate on how well you have done since.

Will they let you in? Don't know. You might be up against a real uptight jerk, or you might not be.

But, absolutely apply for expungment (where your record will be hidden from view), or a pardon as suggested by the Captain (where your record will be REMOVED).

excon
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 23, 2006, 10:19 PM
    They may let you in, but the conviction may keep you from becoming licensed (as a Registered Nurse or as a Licensed Practical Nurse.)

When you apply for a state license, you are asked if you have ever been found guilty of a felony or misdemeanor (other than a traffic offense.) It is the same way for pharmacists, physicians, dentists, and other licensed professionals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft [ 32 Answers ]

The other night, Me and some colleagues hit up the local tarvern for some refreshing breverages... okay, we got hammed, and hit the bar... now vaguely I don't remember really being there, but I know I was. Appearently, I stole some beer taps from the beer well. They got me on camera, but, I...

Retail Web Site [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: What is the best low cost way to get the word out about my retail web site.Thanks in advance Fred

Retail theft record? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a nurse. My company was recently purchased by another co. I was informed that they will do a criminal background check. In 1991 I plead guily to retail theft. Will this still be on my record? Should I worry? This was 15 years ago. I live in Pennsylania and I was an adult when I did this...

Theft [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am being charged with theft under 5000, 5 counts, and possession, 5 counts. What do you think the consequences will be for this in Canada? I am an adult, and this is my first offence. Please help, I'd like to know more opinions! Thanks :(

View more questions Search