Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mangobtl487 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Dropped diamond earring down the drain!
    Help! My diamond earring fell down the drain while I was in the shower. The water was obviously running. Wasn't in the shower long, so I'm hoping it hasn't been washed past the trap. Is there any way to get it back?
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 19, 2006, 02:53 PM
    My first impression is that you may get lucky using a wet/dry vac, if you can get ahold of one.

Now, on a more thought-out note, let's go through this methodically: first of all, don't use that particular shower (if possible) until we figure this one out.

Now, start by shining a light down the drain. Can you see the earring in the trap?

Awaiting your reply,
    Moishe

Feb 19, 2006, 02:54 PM
    I can't see anything but hair, which I pulled out, to no avail. Nothing caught in the hair and can't see anything.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 19, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mangobtl487
    Help! My diamond earring fell down the drain while i was in the shower. The water was obviously running. Wasn't in the shower long, so i'm hoping it hasn't been washed past the trap. is there any way to get it back?
    It's fishing time! Remove the strainer. Take a small stiff wire and put a hook on it and attempt to "fish" it back up out of the drain. The inside of the trap bell is smooth. If you feel anything down there it will be your earring. Hook it and pull it back. Good luck, Tom

Feb 19, 2006, 03:59 PM
    The strainer is glued down, how do I get it up?
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 19, 2006, 04:41 PM
    The strainer is glued down, how do I get it up?
    The drain is glued down. The strainer should be secured by two screws. I have never seen a strainer that was glued in place. If the strainer were made unremoveable then the plumber would have no way to snake out the shower drain if it clogged up. Look again and let me know. Tom

Feb 19, 2006, 04:56 PM
    The drain is glued. The strainer has no screws. I can't seem to figure out how it's held in place. It looks like a concrete cross bar with a coppery metal cylindrical piece in the middle, presumably to hold the plug in place.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 19, 2006, 05:13 PM
    The drain is glued. The strainer has no screws. I can't seem to figure out how it's held in place. It looks like a concrete cross bar with a coppery metal cylindrical piece in the middle, presumably to hold the plug in place.
    Can you take a picture and send it to me? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dropped Diamond earring down the drain! [ 13 Answers ]

PLease help! I just dropped my earring down the drain. The water wasn't running, it just dropped. Can I assume it's possibly still sitting in the pipe? My husband isn't answering his office phone and I am frantic. Please help me!

Earring down bath-tub drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Quick question: My wife dropped her earring down the bath-tub drain. No water has gone down the drain, but I don't know if bath tubs have a trap similar to a sink. Can it be retrieved or is it lost? Can a plumber help?

Dropped diamond earring [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter dropped her diamond earring down the drain. I assume it is caught in the trap but have found that the trap does not have the hand tightened connectors. Instead, it is a solid piece which is connected into another piece which has a purple paint-like substance on it on both ends. I...

Hot water pressure suddenly dropped [ 2 Answers ]

In kitchen sink, was using hot and cold water (separate knobs) and all of a sudden the hot water pressure dropped to a trickle. I tried taking the faucet apart and checking the washers, and they were all fine. Cleaned everything really well and put it all back together, and still have trickle for...

What to do for items dropped into toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I`ve dropped a hair-clip about 1-2ins. In diameter,into The toilet as it was flushing. The toilet seems to be Flushing properly so far, but I`m concerned about it Becoming problematic in the future. Is there something I can pour into it to disintegrate it? It`s plastic.

View more questions Search