Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momsearching Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 10:51 AM
    My 4yr. Old talks like a 2yr. Old
    My son will be 5 this Aug. He has gone through one session of speech therapy that ended this past Dec. and will begin his second session this may followed through till end up June early July.
    I should start by saying that before he got into therapy he was even more behind than he is now. However he has not progressed as much as we would have hoped. There is some progression just not a lot. He is in school half days. He has been tested for hearing and it came back perfect. We had the concerne with Autism and had him tested and it can back negative. We were grateful to say the least.
    My issue with him is that I can not get him to want to particiapte at home when it comes to learning. He does not want to be bothered at all. We will try to teach him his numbers. Although he does say them 1-20 there is no way we can get him to sit down and practice the numbers to know the visualy as well.
    This continues to be very frustrating and we try not to get frustrated with him as it is only harder on him. We have tried making it fun, but it's a no go.

I am looking for any insight at all... anything that might trigger a reason he doesn't want to expand his vocabulary.

At the present moment the school is fine with how he is. However if he is not 100% where he should be by the end of senior kindergarten, they will be referring him to a smaller special school. And that's the last thing that I want for him. I don't want him to feel alienated by attending a different school that what he knows.

So again any advice or insight as to what we can do at home or even look into for our son would be appreciated.
    you_know Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Mabye you should try switching schools? I mean it could be because he just wants to play dumb. My little brother used to do that with reading. We would offer him things that he liked such as money, going to work with daddy, renting a playstation game or buying a new toy! It worked with my brother, but that's because he was acting. I don't know if this will work with your child but mabye you can try. I hope things get better with your child.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Have you tried getting a second opinion on the diagnosis for autism?

Apr 30, 2008, 11:16 AM
    We have been told twice that Autism is not in question.
    My son is a very affectionate little boy, he feels others pain and he wants to be there for others. He is just a down right emotional boy and takes everything in. He does communicate with us, however because he knows that we know what he wants he appears to just let it be and figures he will get what he wants anyway.

So no to answer your question we don't believe that we need another opinion about Autism.
    Thank you for your question.
    A
    Also I wanted to mention that the school he is attending has only helped him improve and get to where he is verbally. So we don't believe transferring him to another school would do any good. And also we live in the country and that is the only elementary school within our district.
    janinereed Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 11:32 AM
    I have the same problem with my son,he is nearly four and speaks like a 2 yr old. Just recently he started making a bit of progress so we are hoping he will catch up. Has anyone checked to see if your son has a tongue tie? My son has a slight tongue tie which made him not interested in learning because he can't say words properly and it makes him frustrated.

Apr 30, 2008, 02:11 PM
    You know how you say you never wish even the smallest things on your child.
    I was hoping that he was either a)tongue tied b)hearing problems or c) autistic. Just so that we would have an answer and deal with it from there... however he is clean on everything. That's what makes this whole journey so frustrating...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He never talks [ 18 Answers ]

Hi there, I have this guy friend, we have known each other about 3 years at college. He doesn't talk much, but he loves to do hw with me and have lunch with me. BUT he doesn't talk much to me, all he did was like ask me if I want to get to lucn together or dinner together, I said sure,...

He talks about marriage in and out [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I'm 18. I've been with my first boyfriend (who's 19) for 7 months and we recentely had a break but, we got back together 2 weeks later at the end of March. The problem(?) or the confusion I want to ask is that my boyfriend is quite sensitive. When we got back together 2 days after we...

Daughter talks back [ 9 Answers ]

My 12year old daughter backs talks me doesn't listen to me we fight all the what can I do? I'm am the mother

She won't tell her ex about us and still talks to him a lot. [ 6 Answers ]

OK so I'm dating this girl, and the way we got together was sticky to begin with. 2 months ago, I had a girlfriend and she had a boyfriend, we both left them and now were going out with each other. However, my ex girlfriend knows about this girl and knows I like her, her ex boyfriend has heard...

My boyfriend still talks to a girl [ 6 Answers ]

My Boyfriend Still Talks To A Girl He Dated It Gets Me Mad/sad, Ive Asked Him Several Times To Stop He Says Ok But Still Talks To Her And I Find Out Behind His Back How Can I Get Him To Stop.

View more questions Search