Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amelian64 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 05:46 AM
    How do you removed screws that are stripped
    I am trying to remove a medicine cabinet and two of the screws are stripped. It's an antique medicine cabinet so I want to ensure I do not damage the piece.

Any advice on removing stripped screws?

Thanks,
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Give us an idea of the head diameter, length, the screw diameter (e.g 1/8", #6) and the material (brass, steel) and type of head (Countersunk(flat), Pan, Round), wood or machine screw.
    amelian64 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amelian64
    I am trying to remove a medicine cabinet and two of the screws are stripped. It's an antique medicine cabinet so I want to ensure I do not damage the piece.

Any advice on removing stripped screws?

Thanks,
    I'm no screw expert, but here goes. The screw is appox. 1-3/4 inch, according to pictures on the web, is shaped like a wood screw, has a countersunk head with a round head. I'm not sure if it is metal or brass.

Thanks for your assistance
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Apr 28, 2008, 07:22 AM
    They make stripped screw removers, you can get them at most hardware stores.

Craftsman 3 pc. Screw-Out™ Damaged Screw Remover Set - Model 52154 at Sears.com
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 07:36 AM
    It might be simpler to just get a drill bit a tiny bit smaller than the screw head and just drill off the head.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Apr 28, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Good idea, that would be easier. Just be careful not to damage your antique cabinet. Guess I agree with you a lot ballenger because it won't let me.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Yep, they do make us spread our ratings around, need to rate 5 others before you can come back to the same person. This was primary done to stop guys who get upset with someone else and they start a reddie war.
    I was thinking a slightly smaller bit than the head would help preserve the hinge plate from scratches.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2008, 09:08 AM
    My post didn't show up, so I'm going to try again.

There are a number of screw extractors here:
    Woodworker's Supply

Although my method might revolve around a Dremel tool and a pair of needle nose vise grips.

The Dremel with a dental like engraver will allow you to make a slot. Once the screw clears flush, it can be flattened around the edges and removed with the vise grips.

If the head has to be ground off, then you may have to use the 1/4" to 1/2" screw extractor/hole saw to remove it. The hole is then patched with a glued in dowell.

I have an issue with TRYING to drill the screw out with a conventional drill. My feeling, is that if your not careful, the drill will slip and damage the cabinet.

I have had the most success by slotting and using a conventional bit to remove. Without a flat surface and mark it's difficult to drill without the drill wandering.

Good luck.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Look on sears or Lowe's website and order an easy out and left hand drill bit kit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing stripped screws [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. I have to remove screws that are totally stripped from an exterior storm door to replace the door. What is the best way, and tools, to go about doing this? Thank you.

Drywall screws [ 1 Answers ]

By the nec are drywall screw allowed for securing electrical componets

Replaced liner now skimmer screws are stripped [ 2 Answers ]

Replaced a liner very old pool had brass screws and brass skimmer plate found 4 screws are stripped how to fix without replacing entire skimmer. Won't need to repair until spring when my customer will open his pool. Thank you Mike

Hair stripped twice.. help [ 2 Answers ]

This is my story, I sure hope someone can give me some honest advice. Here it goes: I started colouring my hair approximately 2 years ago. My natural hair colour is light brown, I wanted it a bit darker, went to the salon and it turned out great. Did this a few times and loved it. I made the...

View more questions Search