Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecrockett Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 05:19 PM
    12-3 wiring from gfi plug to outlet to plug in a 110v pool pump
    Need to verify proper wiring for above 110v pool pump.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrockett
    12-3 wiring from gfi plug to outlet to plug in a 110v pool pump
    I have NO idea what this means.

From the sound of your post I think you would be MUCH better served by having a pro do this. Pools are NO place to mess around if you don't know what you are doing!!

Did you know that you CANNOT run typical outdoor wiring cable to a pool pump?
    Did you know you need an INSULATED ground in conduit (or very special direct burial cable) to feed a pool pump motor?
    Did you know you need a twist lock plug and receptacle if the pump receptacle is within 10' of the pool?
    Do you know what bonding is? Or how to go about doing it?
    How about the required 120v convenience receptacle within 10-20' of the pool?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Apr 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman

From the sound of your post I think you would be MUCH better served by having a pro do this. Pools are NO place to mess around if you don;t know what you are doing!!!

Did you know you need an INSULATED ground in conduit (or very special direct burial cable) to feed a pool pump motor?
    Did you know you need a twist lock plug and receptacle if the pump receptacle is within 10' of the pool?
    I agree with Stan 100% on this one!

Something's should be left to the pros! Just make sure your pro has installed wiring to a pool and it's equipment before you hire them.

Apr 27, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman

From the sound of your post I think you would be MUCH better served by having a pro do this. Pools are NO place to mess around if you don;t know what you are doing!!!

Thank you for your reply.
    You're right. I'm not a pro and will need to call one. We purchased this home 3 years ago with the existing pool set up. The existing 1.5 hp pump was connected by a long extension cord hard wired to the pump and pluged in to a 20 amp GFI plug about 15ft away.
    I purchased a new 1.5 hp pump from my locate pool supply and the sale person told me the receptacle needed to be within 5 ft of the pump and I should use insulated 12-3 wire bured 18" ( I only got about 8 to 10" deep in my clay ground) in pvc concuit . The new pump has a 4-5 ft standard 3 prong cord and there is a bonding lug at the bottom of motor that I need to connect a NO. 8 awg solid copper wire to an all metal part of the pool. My question is about the 12-3 wire? Why would I need 12-3 instead of 12-2 w / ground.

Thanks , Ed
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Like I said, you CANNOT use cable like this. He probably think he can skirt the safety codes by using the other insulated wire as the ground. This is NOT safe and NOT proper.

Your "pool guy" is a pool guy, NOT an electrician. He is giving VERY wrong advice!! And you should tell him that. Not that it would matter to him.

Apr 27, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I plug a Freezer and a Frig into the same outlet? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to add a Freezerless refrigerator to my garage which already has an upright freezer. I would like to plug it into the same GFI outlet. Is this too much for one outlet to handle? Should these be "stand-alone"?

Travel Trailer plug in outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a new 30 amp receptical, what size wire would be needed to run about 20 ft from the 30 amp breaker. Will it then be safe to plug a 20 amp plug from my travel trailer into it with a dog bone type connector, which will run a microwave a TV and a roof top air conditioner. I would...

20amp plug with 30 amp outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a used tanning bed with a 220 plug and 20 amps.the outlet I am going to use is 220 volts and 30 amps.will this work , or will it damage something?

Outlet plug [ 2 Answers ]

After vacuming, I've noticed the cord is warm when I unplug it from the outlet... what the heck does that mean?? Thanks, Christine:cool:

20 Amp 110V Locking Plug adapter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a core drill with a locking plug, 20 Amp/110 V, which I hope to use at any location, not in a single shop. I would like to know if it is possible to find an extension already built to handle this for use at any location (with a non-locking, standard 3 wire male end)....

View more questions Search