Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Crock Pot
    Does anybody have any recipes for crock pot dishes? This would be a great time to share. (;
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Sure, I use a crock pot to cook a lot of stuff. What are you interested in making? I have discovered making soup in a crock pot. It comes out wonderful and much more tasty than on the stove. Also chicken and roast beef. Yum!
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Do you use a crock pot for everything? For example Roasts, whole chickens, meatloafs, steaks, etc... Pretty much anything. Would like to have some tips on recipes and directions.

For example, on mine. There is 4,6,8,10 hour settings. High, low and warm.

Thank you for your response twinkiedooter.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 06:22 PM
    I love my crock pot. There are a ton of recipes on the web; Crockpot Recipes - More than 1400 Crockpot Recipes for the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker.

I use mine for roasts, soup, chicken dishes, ribs... my chili kicks butt (pun not intended); I'll be happy to share the recipe with you if you want it, it's really easy! :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Here's my recipe, easy, easy, easy. I have a huge crock pot, you can cut it in half if you don't want to make so much.

2 lbs ground beef (you can use chicken or sausage, or combo)
    2 cans chicken broth
    2 cans kidney beans (drained)
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    2 cans tomato paste
    2 envelopes Old El Paso Chili Seasoning (this is my favorite)
    Additional spices (cumin, cayenne, pepper) to taste
    Hot sauce to taste.

Brown the meat, and put all the ingredients in the crock, stir until mixed well. Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.

You can use water instead of chicken broth, but the broth adds more flavor. This makes a pretty thick chili, if you want it thinner, simply add more water or broth. You could also use black beans in place of one or both cans of kidney beans for something different. You can also add peppers, onions, etc to the crock while it's cooking, or to top the chili once it's done.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 07:52 AM
    HistorianChick agrees: All right... this is a weekend recipe! Thanks, jillian! :)
    I've got a really easy chicken and rice one too... it's at home. I THINK it's as follows:

2 cups (maybe 1... ) rice
    2 cans cream condensed soup (cheese, cream of chicken, cream of broccoli, etc)
    4 chicken breasts
    Salt and pepper
    Paprika

Mix the soups and the rice together, put in bottom of crock. Put chicken on top (raw), season with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook on low for 8 (maybe?) hours or low for 4 (maybe?) hours. You can also mix some frozen veggies in with the rice mixture; peas, green beans, etc.

The chicken comes out really, really tender - it falls apart if you just look at it!

I've got a great recipe for pulled pork BBQ too, North Carolina style. I'll be sure to post it when I get home - I really don't remember it!
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Wow... You rock! :) Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Ok, here's a slew of things I make:

Bean Dish/Soup

(This is quick and easy, and pretty good. Not something I'd serve to company, but kids love it, and it's great on a cold day. I usually use more bacon! :))

Ingredients:
    1 – lbs ground beef, cooked
    ½ - lb bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 – cup ketchup
    1 – cup brown sugar
    1 – 15oz can kidney beans, drained
    1 – 15oz can butter beans, drained
    2 – 15oz cans pork and beans
    2 – tbsp vinegar

Directions:
    Mix all ingredients together in crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours

Beef Stew

(You can, of course, add onions and or peppers to this; anything you want, really)

Ingredients:
    2 – lbs baby carrots
    3 – lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cubed
    4 – large potatoes, cubed
    2 – 10 ¾ oz cans cream of tomato soup
    1 ½ - cups water
    2 – envelopes beef stew seasoning mix

Directions:
    Wisk soup, water and seasoning packet together in a bowl. Put other ingredients in crock pot – pour soup mix into crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours, or low for 4 hours.

Chicken and Rice

(This is the one I mentioned earlier; you can use any kind of soups you want. I usually make less than the recipe calls for)

Ingredients:
    2 – cups quick-cooking rice
    1 – cup water
    1 – 10 ¾ oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 – 10 ¾ oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 – 10 ¾ oz can condensed cream of potato soup
    1 – lb chicken breasts
    Salt and pepper
    Paprika

Directions:
    In bottom of crock, mix rice, water and soup. Add chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika. Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours

North Carolina Pork BBQ

(THIS IS AWESOME!!! Beware the red pepper flakes if you don't do spicy; the recipe makes it really, really hot. You can use pork ribs for this too, or make the sauce and put it on ribs or whatever and cook it in the oven.)

Ingredients:
    6 – lbs boneless pork butt, shoulder or blade roast
    2 – 14oz cans diced tomatoes
    1 – cup vinegar
    4 – tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 – tbsp sugar
    2 – tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
    2 – tbsp salt
    4 – tsp pepper

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients in crock. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 5 hours.

Enjoy! :)
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2008, 12:03 AM
    These are all abolutely amazing.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 08:44 AM
    My favorite roast recipe...

Throw one roast in the crock pot (2 - 3) pounds
    Dump in a large can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    2 packets of Lipton's French onion soup mix
    1 can of beef broth

Put crock pot on 8 - 10 hours

Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Yummy thank you very much J9. I have been thinking of doing a roast in the crock pot. I will defiantly try that. (;
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2008, 11:25 AM
    For roast beef I usually take a frozen top round roast at least 3 lbs or more. Put in crock pot with about 1- 1 1/2 cup of water and salt and pepper. Cover and set it on low - yep frozen. My pot has high, low and warm. I set it on low and let the thing cook for at least 10 hours. Then I add a bit more water and set it on warm. I cook the thing at least 5 or more hours. The meat literally falls apart. I then put the meat into freezer dishes with some of the juice from the roast and then reheat it in the micro at work. I have instant roast beef every day for lunch. The more the roast cooks the better it tastes. At least I think so. If I need more juice I just add more water. I only use filtered water with my meat.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Very nice, Love all the recipes and advice on how to cook with a crock pot.
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Oct 18, 2008, 04:40 PM

Here is a desert for the crock pot. I just made it tonight and it is delicious.

Hot Cocoa Cake
    Butter flavored cooking spray
    2 cups milk
    1 box chocolate cake mix
    1 1/4 cups water
    3 large eggs
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1 box chocolate cook and serve pudding
    Miniature marshmallows
    Hershey's syrup

1 coat slow cooker with cooking spray. In a saucepan over high haet, heat milk until amost boiling. Remove from heat set aside
    2 In a large mixing bowl comine cake mix water, eggs, and canola oil. Mix it all
    3 Tranfer batter to prepared cooker. Sprinkle pudding mix over cake batter. Slowly pour in hot milk
    4 Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours. Do not lift lid for first 3 hours
    5. Turn off cooker sprinkle cake with marshmallows, cover until marshmallows melt
    6 serve warm by scooping out cake. Top with additional marshmallows and hershey syrup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul odor in sump crock [ 1 Answers ]

I have a waste or rotted flesh smell coming from the sump crock. I have nothing empting into the crock besides the footer drain. I do have a small bar sink discharging into the pipe in the floor connected to the furnace pipe. I don't know where this empties. I have ran water waiting for it to...

Crock Pot Recipes [ 23 Answers ]

Hey everyone I was given a crock pot and I'm just so curious to use it.. I've never used 1 before but now is the time. Can you guys recommend any good pot roast recipes or any good crock pot recipes... Thanks

Crock Pot [ 2 Answers ]

How long can you keep the food in the crock pot on Warm? Can you put the Hot crock pot of food into the refrigerator?

Crock pot [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to cook a pot roast in my 6qt crock pot. It's call a "Crock Watcher". It has an auto function besides low and high. I lost the book on this and wondered if anyone was fimiliar with this pot, and if was OK if I left it on 'auto' overnight, then swith to low in the morning till dinner time.

View more questions Search