Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nicole8778 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 12:28 AM
    I think Im developing Paranoia
    I used to live in a small secluded town where everybody knew everybody and there was never an issue regarding locking doors and robberies since they would never happen . Anyway, I recently moved to a large city with the fourth highest crime rate in Canada. Being secluded all my life has made me so paranoid of the outside world. My fiancée recently started working night shifts 4 times a week so I stay at home by myself these nights. I hear things constantly and think people break into my house. I have called my fiancée in tears because I literally thought I heard someone breaking into my house, or walking around the house. I can't sleep during these nights which is causing me to have terrible insomnia. I went to the doctor and he said I was just being to paranoid and prescribed my Zopiclone for my insomnia... however, I don't want to drug myself to fall asleep since I am so scared that people are going to break in. I feel like I am becoming delusional, I have terrible anxiety and this fear is starting to take over my life! Any suggestions?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 01:02 AM
    Lack of sleep can make everything seem worse.

Do you have secure bolts on the doors?
    Are the windows held shut with sticks/dowels that prevent someone from opening them from the outside?
    Is it possible to take a self-defense class?
    Do you have a baseball bat near your bed?

Talk to your neighbors, get to know them if possible. Ask if they have ever had their homes broken into. Just because a city has a lot of crime, doesn't necessarily mean that you are targeted.

If you continue to feel scared, get some counselling. You are not crazy. Talk to someone about it in addition to your significant other and the doctor. Preferably someone unbiased. Get ideas.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 02:08 AM
    I agree that sleep deprivation can make things seem a lot worse than they are. I remember when I moved into my present home. I used to leave all of the blinds down because I thought that everyone could see me and was looking...

I was wrong. No one was even looking...

I used to live in an old farm house that was somewhat isolated. Upon moving to my present location in a neighborhood with a lot of people, I was definitely paranoid. It did take me some time to get used to being in a neighborhood that was in much closer proximity than the type of neighborhood to which I had grown accustomed.

There are dangers anywhere. I think that once you have grown accustomed to where you are that your fears will grow to be less and less, just like mine did. I do live in a high crime rate area, by-the-way.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 22, 2008, 04:03 AM
    I also have reasons to fear for my safety sometimes... for reasons quite different than yours, but safety reasons all the same. I also understand the insomnia.

What measures have you taken to ensure your safety. There are a few things that I do when I feel afraid and I can't sleep.

I assume you don't have an alarm system? If not there are a few other things you can do if you feel like you are in any danger.

--Do you have an auto-remote for your vehicle? If so, press the panic button. (test it out ahead of time to make sure it works from areas in your house) The noise will usually scare someone away, and also alert neighbors. Get to know your neighbors, and ask if
    You can have their phone #'s in case of emergency

--Keep a broomstick or some other long device near your smoke detector. You can push the button to set it off if you need to. (also to scare someone away, and alert neighbors)

--Keep your phone with you when you go to bed, and program 911

--Keep a bat or large stick by both front and back doors.

--You may want to consider getting a dog. (both for company and protection)

--Post "Beware of Dog" signs (even if you don't have a dog)

--Post "Crime Stoppers" stickers on your doors and windows (available at police depts)

--Post Stickers on your doors from an alarm company. Some co.'s will give them to
    You for free... I printed mine right off the internet from an alarm co.

--Install Sensor Lights outside, and the timer lights inside that you can get for lamps.

--Install good deadbolt locks on your doors, and locks on your windows.

Some or all of these things might put your mind at ease so you can get a good nights sleep. Just think, you said the city in Canada with the "4th" largest crime rate. That means 1/4 of the crime than the other big cities have right?! So think of it as being 4 times safer. ;)

I've lived in Calg. And Edm. and believe me, it's scary for awhile especially if you're alone at night, but it's safer than you think. Just do everything you can to make sure you're safe, and you'll be fine.
    Nicole8778 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Thanks for your responses, I will try some of these --I literally thought I was going crazy!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 01:49 PM
    I couldn't spread the love so soon without giving further reputation, starbuck8. But, I did want to say Excellent Answer!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Haunted or just paranoia? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, I need something cleared up here. I might tend to be paranoid about stuff. Anyway, lately I've been talking to a friend about 'night attackers' as he calls them. He's haunted, and he's haunted by inhuman beings. They aren't ghosts, but he thinks that they are beings trying to create fear in...

How to control my jealousy and paranoia? [ 22 Answers ]

I've been dating this wonderful guy for 2 wees now.. OK, I have had the problem of jealousy with all my previous boyfriens.. I question every little thing they do and when they answer me, I don't believe them.. what can I do to stop being paranoid? Every time when he picks up his phone I think:...

Developing the business [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am running an placement consultancy how to develop my business .how can we get clients and convince them recruitng for there companies supplying manpower to them.

A mess of guilt, paranoia, and confusion [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for just over 8 months now. Before we met I had a trip to Europe planned and at one point, I invited him to go with me. I knew we'd never stay together if he didn't come and I wanted to be with him. He agreed and we made a huge commitment together. About a week...

Marihuana - paranoia [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I started smokeing marihuana 3 years from now, at first I smoked intensevly and through time I smoked less and less. Now for the past few months when I smoke it I have this attacks, some sorth of paranoia. I can get on a noraml level. I can also feel depresive. Do u have any idea what is...

View more questions Search