Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WilliamJB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 12:41 PM
    May be a Dad, how to find out
    I broke up with my ex eight months ago and she recently gave birth. I have had no contact with her and only found out through friends. I suspect it may be mine. Is it Legal for her to simply put her live-in boyfriend's name as the father on the birth certificate without DNA proof that he is indeed the real Dad? Is there some way I can find out if its mine without her knowledge that I am inquiring?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

WJB
    KateBell88 Posts: 51, Reputation: 8

Apr 17, 2008, 06:18 PM
    There's no way you can without her knowing. Remember if you push this and it is your kid then you will have to pay child support for the next 18yrs. And there's nothing to stop her putting whoever she wants on the birth certif. for all you know she cheated on you and it really isn't your kid
    ashley0716 Posts: 121, Reputation: 12

Apr 17, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Yes I recommend you step lightly on this one. Ask yourself the following questions: Do I want to pursue a relationship with this child if he/she is mine? Am I financially able to take care of this child? Legally, she can put ANYONE she wants on the birth certificate. But that doesn't mean anything in a court of law unless you ACKNOWLEDGE that IS your kid. Good luck!
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Since you are not legally married, she has the right to anybody's or nobody's name on the baby's birth certificate. First of all, ask yourself what are you going to do if the baby is yours. If you are ready to take the responsibility in case the baby is yours, then you can file paternity suit.

As the baby was born within 310 days from the date you broke up, there is possibility that the baby is yours. Go to the court.. procedures are not complicated, just a regular DNA test... you can do it yourself.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Apr 19, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Yes it is legal. If she and her boyfriend both think the baby is his, then they have the right to agree he fathered the child. It does not mean he fathered the child. I would think long and hard about a paternity suit. Do not rush. A legal DNA test is about 500 dollars.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 09:21 AM
    If you believe the child is yours, you can challenge this in court and ask for a DNA test

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plot: Orphans find a briefcase with cash and return to find a hand [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find the name of a 1980's movie that a group of orphaned kids find a briefcase with cash and return to find a hand in it. Then, the briefcase goes missing after they report it to the police. Does anyone know the name of this movie?

Find someone [ 1 Answers ]

I am needing to find out where someone works so that I may execute a garnishement. Jamie Keith Higgins 2776 S. Coachman Drive Independence, Missouri 64055 816-373-2324 Cell- 816-699-4463 Previous address 803 Devon Street Independence, MO 64055

HOW can I find old age homes in BARRIE Ontario? I need to find my mom! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, just wondering if someone could find me a listof them all, thanks!

Just where did they find that 14%? [ 12 Answers ]

I find it absolutely hilarious that there is less confidence in Congress than there is in UFOs, ghosts, Elvis being alive, Astrology, and the existence of Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. I'm also shocked that the number who are confident in Congress is as high as 14%. So exactly where did...

Find W-2 [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get a copy of you 2004 W-2

View more questions Search