Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsmommy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Don't know father of son, can my husband still adopt?
    My fiancé wants to adopt my son. I don't know who my sons biological father is. Do I need to fallow the same legalities as if I knew who the father was or can my fiancé adopt him with no problems? Where do I go from here?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmommy
    My fiance wants to adopt my son. I don't know who my sons biological father is. Do I need to fallow the same legalities as if I knew who the father was or can my fiance adopt him with no problems? Where do I go from here?

You still have to go through the Court system and they will advise you - just be aware if you have a suspicion who the father is and that person later surfaces and demands DNA testing and is the father the adooption will become problematical, even later in life.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Obviously you have some kind of idea who the father is... and that man has rights. As Judy said... you will still have to go through the courts. They will ask you if you have any idea who the father could be, and where he may be. I am betting that you will have to make some kind of effort to locate the biological father... I mean, it's only fair.

Your first step should be to talk to an attorney in your area. Laws vary state to state... so it would be better you get the right information from the start.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Why do you want your fiancé to adopt your child ? In most states before adoption can take place you must be married for awhile before an adoption is granted. If your not married to him yet and an adoption were to go through you would be giving up your rights to your child.
    You need to discuss this all with a competent lawyer and find out how the laws apply in your area.
    ConcernedMommy08 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 01:29 PM
    After you are married, it is actually relatively simple to have him adopt your child at least in Alabama. If no legal paternity has ever been established, you can have a lawyer run an ad in a local newspaper to an unknown father that your husband wants to adopt the child. If no one contests, you can proceed to have him adopted. Me and my husband are actually on the opposite end of this situation right now. The mother of his son ran an ad saying she didn't know who his father and almost had him adopted without my husbands consent. The best advice I can give you is-GET A LAWYER.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 02:31 PM
    What you will have to do, is possiblly if you know of two or three men it could be is to file and have them tested to find out who the father is.
    But you will need to start with an attorney who will walk you though a lot of requirements

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband wants to adopt my daughter her father not around! [ 6 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my daughter he has been with her ever since she was 13 months old and now almost 8 yrs old and her dad has'nt seen her since she was 12 months He pays child support only because it's court ordered but she don't know him and would probably be scared of him she don't know...

Can my husband adopt my son if the father is not on the birth certificate? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my five year old son. Does the father have to agree if he's not on the birth certificate and hasn't supported his son after the break up? He only saw his son twice in a year and seven days.

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

Can my husband adopt can't find biological father [ 1 Answers ]

Can my husband adopt my child if the biological father is nowhere to be found?

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

View more questions Search