Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 08:36 AM
    Malleable/Best-fitting Outlet Covers
    Hello All! Would anyone be able to give me some tips/ideas/suggestions on some different types of outlet covers that work well with "rough pine log" surfaces. I have @ 20 different outlets/switches boxed within logs for a new log home and looking for some suggestions on some founded ways of dealing with these new log homes and using covers that I can possibly "bend" or "mold" to the general contour of the wood, please!
    p.s. Also have a homeowner that says, "Whatever looks best." Thanks in Advance!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2006, 10:12 AM
    There are nylon switch and duplex plates in the standard colors, ivory, White, etc. These plates bend with ease and will not snap or break, however any time a plate is bent, means there will be openings, gaps, voids, that will be created, and the purpose of a cover plate is to close up the box completely to prevent any sparks from spraying out of the box possibly onto combustible materials, and to prevent any one from inserting a finger and coming into contact with live parts.

I have not had the opportunity to wire a log home, but I can certainly imagine what the problem is with the need to put a flat plate onto a box protruding from a round or uneven finish.

A better method may be to cover the recess outlet box with a metal or plastic finish extension box, I am thinking of Wiremold boxes.

See this for metal boxes, find the "Starter Box":

http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...eway/index.asp

See this for plastic boxes, find the "Starter Box":

http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...eway/index.asp

I think that the wood log can be chiseled out around the recess outlet box, just enough to set one of these boxes in and onto the recess box, then use the Wiremold box for the device, and then the flat finish plate will set onto the Wiremold box.

Both the metal and plastic boxes are ivory color, can be painted, the plastic can be filed or otherwise shaped on the back side to conform to an uneven surface.

What do you think of this idea?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

24 volt lighting switch covers [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house built in 1957 that has 24 volt lighting controls. The wall switches have rocker / push buttons that switch relays in a control panel to turn on / off the 120 volt overhead lights. Local electrical contractors tell me the system is obsolete and I cannot find parts. Right...

Leaded fitting in shower [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing a shower.. the old pan drain is leaded to the drain pipe. How do I remove the lead? What is the easiest way to proceed? Can I do this myself, or do I need a plumber? Thanks for your help.

Can someone please identify this PVC fitting [ 3 Answers ]

Attached (I hope) is a picture of a fitting I am trying to identify. This fitting joins my PVC washing machine drain pipe to my copper soil pipe. I would like to know what it is called so I can buy another one without sounding like an idiot to the sales folks. Also, I am looking for application...

Pool Covers [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best cover to use, when closing the pool to winter over in areas where freezing occurs.

Retro fitting K&N FIPK Kits [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change the stock air filter unit on my 94 dodge spirit, and perhaps put a K&N kit in it. Although K&N does not make a kit for my car, not surprisingly, I have seen some set ups that look like they would fit well under my hood. The air filter is a good size, and the pipe's bend could be...

View more questions Search