Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anonymous_in_pa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Parental Rights and Child Support
    Ok, I have been living with a blind man for 7 years now. We have a 4 y/o girl and another on the way. He has been threatening to move out for some time now. He always says he won't have to pay child support if he signs his rights away. I guess when he was in the military before he lost his sight, he got a girl pregnant, and he signed his rights away and never had to pay a dime for that child. So, does this mean he won't have to pay child support if he moves out, and signs his rights away for the 2 children I have with him?

I have been talking to friends who have told me that he should have been paying support since my 4 y/o was born even though we've been livng together, since we weren't married. Is that so?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 02:16 PM
    If he is living with you he does not have to pay support. You should have worked out an agreement on paying bills and who is going to be responsible for what.
    Will he tell you what the circumstances were that he signed away his rights because it is rarely that simple to just sign away rights or all the deadbeat dads would be lined up to do just that at the courthouse.
    What type of income does he have?
    If he has military money or SS disability your kids should possibly be able to collect something from that and it not even effect his amount.
    He may have gotten away with it once, doesn't mean he can again so don't let him back you off by what he says.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 03:07 PM
    First he can not just sign his rights away if you don't let him and if the judge won't allow it. Seldon in most US states will the judge even let them just sign the rights away.
    If he did this before, most likely it was not a legal agreement though the court but some illegal fraud he did on the poor girl who did not know better.

So just laugh at him and tell him there would not be men sitting in jail today for not paying child support if they could just sign their rights away.
    Next just tell him that you will get every penny the state will allow and will be glad to see him sitting in jail if he does not pay.
    anonymous_in_pa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 06:13 PM
    I don't think I'm doing this thing right, I can't figure out how to comment... but I wanted to thank you for responding to my situtation. I was not expecting to get such candid honesty and helpful responses. I appreciate your insight! I do want to be honest here, this is the situation my very best friend is in, and I posted as though it was me to write it easier. My friend is very shy and would never post a question like this. Anyway, I look forward to asking and contributing to more questions in the future!

Out of respect for the community I think it is only fair that I divulge my situation. My personal situation is that I am happily married 5 years this year, and I have 2 daughters. One is 4 (she and my friends daughter play together time to time), and one is 18 months. As I have questions or situations I will be sure to post them here!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 06:16 PM
    It is good you cleared that up because if you later post a problem and say you have been happily married for 5 yrs and others look back and see this post they will think you are a spammer or troll or whatever.
    ldyastrid Posts: 82, Reputation: 12

Apr 22, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Your friends blind sperm doner is probably receiving some kind of social security diability benefits - and if that's the case, his child from the previous relationship is receiving payments from social security as well - as will your friend's children... which I'm surprised they aren't receiving now anyway - something she may want to check into. Just because he's unable to see, doesn't make him any less responsible to support the children he helps create... he may have signed away his rights, which means he has no input in the child's life, but that has nothing to do with the monetary support.

I vote she lead him to the door... he sounds like a loser and her children deserve better than living with that mentally/morally challenged individual!
    sweett23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
    I am so glad that I found this site and hope that you can give so advice and "true" answers to my dilemma. My friend had an infant when she married her soon-to-be ex husband, he told her that he wanted to sign the birth certificate and raise the baby as his own, so that is what he did. He did not legally adopt the child assuming that signing the birth certificate was the same as adoption.
    They are now separated and the ex now wants his name taken off the birth certificate, does not intend to pay child support, etc. We live in the state of TX, I have tried to research the answer but can find nothing.
    What can she do? What legal leg does she have to stand on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental Rights and Child Support [ 4 Answers ]

My ex hasn't made any attempt to show me that he cares about our 2 month old daughter and now he said that he would sign over his rights. I just turned in the child support order so should I tell the courts that I don't want child support now if I don't want him in her life and he doesn't want to...

Child support and parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently responsible for paying child support for my daughter, which is actually putting me in the hole every month, for only seeing her two or four hours a month. In Florida, can you give up your parental rights and child support? How long would it be until you could see your child?...

Termination of parental rights and child support [ 2 Answers ]

I recently found that I was the father of an illegitament child and the mother and I agreed that it was best to terminate my parental rights. We have done that with the help of an attorney. I was the fourth person the mother accused of being the father of this child. There was a man before me...

Child support/parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

OK so here is the deal. My girl friend is adopting her sisters kids after they were taken away from her in Ga. (she lost her parental rights) we are in Mi. my question is, can the court order her sister to pay child support after the court took them away form her? Thank you in adavnce for your...

Child support, parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I've been married for 7 years now. We have one little boy. Last week my husband got a suponea from attorney generals office. Apparently he has an 8 year old little boy as well. The "mother" never tried to contact him or find him before. She first filed in April 2006. A year ago. He never knew there...

View more questions Search