Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredjim Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Photocontrol yard light
    We had a big snow storm last month and since then I have been having problems with my photocontrol yard light.
    At first I had to reset it everyday in order for it to turn on in the evening and out in the morning. Then the light would not turn on when I tried to reset it. I purchased a new bulb and it will not work.
    Could it be my photo sensor? If it is, how do I check and repair it?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Need more detail of the fixture and photosensor. What type of fixture or lamp, what type of photosensor? I am not familiar with a photosensor that needs to be reset.

If the fixture uses a 175 watt mercury or metal halide lamp, the fixture contains a ballast, or transfomer, that suppplies power for the lamp,and this can be defective.
    fredjim Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 12:16 PM
    tkrussell
    Thanks

The photosensor is a Caster model and the replacement bulb is metal halide.
    The reset I mentioned was after the lamp shut off in the morning, it would not relight in the evening until I turned the power off and then on a couple of times. That evening the lamp would light, turn off in the morning and I would have to repeat the relighting
    When this did not work anymore, I thought the bulb was spent and I purchased the metal halide bulb but I cannot get it to turn on.
    I removed the photo control, cleaned the surface and replaced it still would not work.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 12:50 PM
    If the photocell plugs and turns to lock in the fixture and has 3 prongs, you can jump 2 to bypass the photocell, the 3rd wire is the neutral.
    Also, You should be able to remove photocell, touch probes in socket to find 120? Volts, then the 3rd would be the wire to the lights ballast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yard Moles [ 6 Answers ]

I have a BIG problem with yard moles. I would like to have any advise. I cannot afford all the "stuff" like stakes and traps. I was wondering if anyone has any "home remendies" to get rid of these. My neighbor also has them very mad. Sue

10 yard and 40 yard dash [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering what is a good 10 yard and 40 yard sprint time for a high school runningback?

Armadillos in my yard [ 3 Answers ]

While cutting my yard for the first time this season I found hundreds of small holes in my yard. It look like small bomb craters. There were hundreds of them. I have a 4 acre yard and you can imagine how many tiny craters I have. I found out it was armadillos. It seems to be a whole extended...

Dead in the Yard [ 4 Answers ]

How do I check to see if I am getting juice to the spark plug?

View more questions Search