Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eschott Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 10:58 PM
    How is mortaring the backerboard joints not going to interfere with tileing later.
    For a bathroom tileing project, I have finished laying down backerboard and taped and mortared the joints as the books tell me to do. After letting it dry overnight, I'm left with raised mortar lines (aprox. 1/8 inch) across the otherwise smooth and flat prep surface. I can't help being concerned that this will cause problems when attempting to lay the tiles on a fresh bed of mortar. I used just enough mortar to cover the tape strips, but is it possible I still used too much? Is this a valid concern, or should I trust that the fresh mortar will fill the uneven gap left by the previously dried mortar? My books don't address this concern. Thanks.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 13, 2008, 04:53 AM
    The fresh mortar should smooth evering thing out. The one thing I do is when applying the fresh mortar always trowel with the joint. In other words don't trowel cross ways over the tape joint but rather along side it as you would with a drywall tape joint. If an 1/8" is all you have that is fine and you should not worry. Make sure to run an old trowel or puddy knife along the tape joints before you start. This will asure you have no little burrs sticking to the floor. Those little burrs will fight you when it comes to having level tile.
    Mike
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 11:37 AM
    If you have a actual 1/8" raise then you put too much mortar down but you should be OK. You are using a modified thinset and not actual mortar, right? How large are your tiles and what size grout line are you using. Mant 12x12 tiles will have you lay your thinset with a 1/4" trowel and that will help the 1/8" disappear. I will tell you how I lay Hardibacker even though it is contrary to the Hardie Company instructions. I do not use a tape application in advice of laying the tile. I tape and apply the 1/4" thinset pretty much all at the same time. I figure the 1/4" thinset is more than enough to set the tape, quicker, cheaper and no 1/8" bump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can this drug interfere with the results of a blood test [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you jesus helper. I have one more question. If I do happen to be pregnant, the night I would've conceived was the last time I have done cocaine. Would this lessen the chance of conception occurring and also will it have an affect on the result of the blood test if I am? (it being in my system...

Can ex interfere with scheduling events on fathers weekend [ 1 Answers ]

Can ex interfere with fathers legal visitation by scheduling events on fathers weekend and expecting him to drive him to these events on his time with the child?

Ceramic tileing bathroom ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

I am renovating y bathroom and I want to tile the shower ceiling a friend has said not to use thinset for the ceiling tile but to use tile glue for this application I want to know if this is a good idea

Background check interfere with jobs? [ 2 Answers ]

I am going through school to become a surgical tech.and wonder about past crimminal backgroun,about 10 yrs,ago, will affect my chances in job placements??

Will installing a door interfere w/hvac? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hallway that connects two bedrooms and a bath. The hall is 3’ X 10’ and the entrance to the hallway from the living area is about 2’ from one end. As you enter the hall, the thermostat is on the opposite wall and the cold air return (only one in the house) is in the ceiling slightly to...

View more questions Search