Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjacoby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Beadboard over brick fireplace!
    I am trying to fasten furring strips to my brick fireplace. I would like to know if using a construction ahesive and a few well placed hammer nails will work or do I have to drill and anchor every furring strip! (Please No!) What's the best way to do this?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 12, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Yes construction adhesive and a few well placed cut nails should do it.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 12, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Should hold it yes... Not always! The easiest way to do it and know for sure it will stay put is anchor it with tapcons.
    Mike
    art in mich Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 06:23 PM
    I'm liking Mike's idea of the glue and Tapcons. Not a big fan of cut nails myself. It doesn't seem that you will need a huge amount of strips (maybe 3 horiz. Rows?) so it shouldn't be too tough. Get a hammer drill though! I usually go into the mortar joints, just in case somebody decides to undo your beautiful work 20 years from now. Why compromise the brick if it's not absolutely necessary, right?
    Two70 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Art, you said you prefer to screw or nail into the mortar just for future purposes. Is that because if that day ever comes, when the screws are removed the mortar can be patched?
    sammyjk1 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 02:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjacoby
    I am trying to fasten furring strips to my brick fireplace. I would like to know if using a construction ahesive and a few well placed hammer nails will work or do I have to drill and anchor every furring strip! (Please No!) Whats the best way to do this?
    If this is a active fireplace you might want to check with local building codes to see if you can install a wood product that close to a open flame.
    peter030205 Posts: 56, Reputation: 5

May 28, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Two70
    Art, you said you prefer to screw or nail into the mortar just for future purposes. Is that because if that day ever comes, when the screws are removed the mortar can be patched?
    Correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting Brick Fireplace [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to paint the brick around our fireplace to update the look. I would like to know what products and methods of applying are available.

Drywall over brick fireplace [ 2 Answers ]

I want to cover top half of my brick fireplace with drywall, and install a 47" flatscreen TV. How can I attach the 2x4's to the brick to support the drywall and weight of TV (approx. 75 lbs). Lag screws? What's best? Thank you!

Brick fireplace [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for info on how to make a brick fireplace smooth? How or what products do I need to make that possible without it cracking?

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 13 Answers ]

I want to get rid of an ugly brick fireplace in the easiest manner. Is it possible to just prime it and use venetian plaster paint... or use a quick crete or sand topping over the brick and then prime and paint that?

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I've been refinishing a fireplace/mantel, which has included stripping layers of paint off the brick fireplace. After months of chemical applications, most of the paint is off, but there are still some stubborn remnants that just aren't coming out - they seem to have soaked into the brick, and...

View more questions Search