Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerimycoplo1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Taxes on Investment income while on F1.student visa- OPT
    I have a question and I thought you might be able to help.-

I have been in the US since I was 13( in 1995). Now I am 26. I have been on F1 visa since 2003. (on different visas before that)
    I am currently working on OPT (in F1 status) for 1 year. My question is concerning taxation on income from 'investments' such as stocks /bonds/dividends.

1) Am I allowed to invest in stocks/bonds if I am on a non-immigrant visa such as F1, H1?
    2) I read on IRS homepage about not having to pay taxes on "Portfolio Interest" on investments ,while on an F1 visa. Is that correct and does that mean I don't have to pay taxes on any interest/dividends in my brokerage account? Do I have to pay taxes on gains from my stocks/bonds gaining value? Does the same apply to gains earned from trading stock options?

I appreciate your help.:)

Sincerely
    John C.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
    You will report sale of stocks on schedule D and the profit is taxable.

For nonresidents bank interest in not taxable. About portfolio interest? I don't have the information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student loan wage garnishment and income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a wage garnishment through my employer for my student loan. I wanted to know if my income taxes are going to be taken too. I am a single parent and need the money. I never received a letter stating that my income takes would be taken but is the student loan company obligated to send...

F-1 Student with eBay income, unpaid taxes or voided status? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to this site; hopefully people will help me out on this one. :) All right, firstly I'm a citizen of China PRC and I am on an F-1 visa studying undergraduate courses here in the US. I'm also a permanent resident of Canada. In my spare time, I sometimes use eBay to...

Do F1-visa student pay social security and Medicare Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I am F1-visa student. Currently I am working using CPT program. I leave in US for two years. And I am working the same company for two years. Starting from January, 2007 they ask me if I am a citizen for tax purpose and have to pay social security and Medicare taxes. They also sent this link to me....

L1 Visa, query on taxes of income and relocation bonus [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Mr. ExpterT, I am a resident of Canada and moving to San Diego, CA for work in October. My company is paying me a lumsum amount of $10,000 USD for relocation. Do you have any idea on approximately how much of it would be taxed. Also, I have to repay an educational loan from the...

How to File Income Taxes When Converting from F-1 to H-1 Visa Status (AtlantaTaxExp) [ 63 Answers ]

To All Who Have Read My Postings On This Issue: After further consultation with NATP, I am making some additional editing changes, which will be in bold red. I have also been referred to a website maintained by a CPA with extensive credentials and experience doing returns for resident and...

View more questions Search