Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PVAULTZ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 11:43 AM
    I want custody of my little sister
    I'm 30 years old and have a 13 year old sister who I want to take care of. Our mom is very ill and financially not able to take care of her. There are also other issues in their home that I want my sister to be away from. She doesn't get along with our stepdad and stepsisters since they've moved in this past year. My sister is very unhappy and starting to not do well in school. I know that if anything happens to my mom she would want me to take care of her. My mom is willing to give up parental rights and allow me to have custody of her. Is there a quick and easy way to do this without going to court? Is there some sort of paperwork we can fill out?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2008, 10:02 PM
    Welcome to AMHD. You can make an application to be your sister's legal guardian. What state?
    PVAULTZ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 12:41 AM
    I live in Texas
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2008, 06:18 AM
    You didn't mention the father; what is his status? It may be best if you consult an attorney and determine whether a 'power of attorney' from your sister to you will be sufficient for you to manage your sister's medical, financial, and other legal issues. If not, you may want to go the 'legal' route. I have provided a citation for you: "SUBCHAPTER G. APPOINTMENT OF NONPARENT AS CONSERVATOR", which you can read at:FindLaw for Legal Professionals - Case Law, Federal and State Resources, Forms, and Code
    KateBell88 Posts: 51, Reputation: 8

Apr 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
    You're a really nice sister, good on you :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want Custody of my 14 yr old sister [ 9 Answers ]

I am here to see if anyone would happen to know what I have to do to get guardianship/custody of my 14 yr old sister... im 25 and married with no kids... mom is unfit at this time to handle a 14 yr old and she can barley handle herself... dad works nights and you can't leave a 14yr old home all...

How can I get custody of my youner sister [ 3 Answers ]

I am wanting to get custody of my younger sister who is 17. I am living in CA and she is still living in Alabama where we were both born and raised. She is living with her adopted father and he told her, he doesn't want her anymore and is saying he is going to send her to a home. She is on...

Custody of my sister! [ 2 Answers ]

I am 18 years old and my sister is 13 years old. We were adopted by our cousins in 2000 and now I am moved out and I have my own apartment. I am engaged and we would like to get custody of my sister. She is being hit with a cutting boared for no reason. She is being emotionally abused and I was...

My sister wants to give me custody [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My niece is 1 1/2 years old and my sister has moved out and asked my husband and I to take care of my niece. Her father is incarcerated (something to do with having sex with a minor). My only concern is my niece. No hesitation on either my husband or myself to take care of her I just...

How can I gain custody of my sister? [ 3 Answers ]

Right now I'm trying to get a restraining order on my mother. We were living with my aunt and my mothers unstable attitude has rocked the house in disarray she has hit my aunt and cousin right now my aunt has a bruise on her eye. She has threatened me that she'll drag me out of the house to live...

View more questions Search