Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonicskilz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
    VGA Monitor - "No Signal" w/New Mobo, CPU & Ram
    The Preamble:
    My old computer: ASRock K7VM2 mobo with 2GB DDR, AMD 2400+, stock CPU fan and heatsink.

I was installing a PCI wireless adapter into this mobo as per the adapter's manual. After installing the software I was supposed to turn off the computer and install the PCI card, then reboot the system. Well once the software was installed I was experiencing a lot of lag and having of trouble restarting the computer properly, and when I finally got back to windows with the adapter in place it wouldn't recognize the wireless network that my girlfriend with the same adapter was actively using... so out of frustration, I hot-swapped the PCI card out and back in, consequently creating an ESD and frying my mobo (I can actually see a slight orange-ish brown region on the back side of where the northbridge is).

At first the PSU would not turn on after I did this, but after a few days I tried powering the system again and it worked (fans and all) except the monitor said "No Signal." I tried plugging the monitor in to the gf's PC and it worked, so I figured the mobo and/or the VGA card were bad.

My Solution:
    I bought a new Biostar GF7025-M2 mobo (integrated graphics), 2GB DRR2, AMD 5400+ X2, and a Rosewell RCX-Z1 CPU Cooler (not to mention a new wireless adapter :D )

My Current Problem
    I received my new equipment yesterday, hooked it all up to the same power supply, HD and optical, and I have the same error on the monitor :eek: . The new CPU fan works great, as does the rear case fan, and I get the mobo single "beep" when I power on. The case power LED works. The CPU fan and CPU are properly seated, and so is the RAM and the VGA cable for my monitor. I troubleshot the monitor again by trying it on another system, and it works, and in addition, another monitor that works on the other system doesn't work on mine. So at least I can cross off the monitor as the problem. Im assuming its either a bad mobo or the PSU needs a replacement.

Since I figured I needed a new power supply either way, I bought a new one online today which will be arriving next week. But Im a little concerned that the PSU might not be the problem since it is powering the fans fine. I need quick advice because I only have 30 days to RMA any of the new parts I bought if they're not working, or else I get stuck with faulty equipment. Can anyone offer me some techniques to troubleshoot individual components that could be at fault here? Or any advice at all for my situation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your concern!! :)
    The IT Whiz Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Hi sonicskilz

I might be able to answer your question if you could let me know if you are using an integrated, onboard graphics chips or a dedicated PCI graphics card?
    sonicskilz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Thanks for looking!

It turns out that I had a bad VGA port connector, which I found out by buying a cheap DVI adapter and plugging my monitor into that... Bingo! It worked! Now all my equipment works great so I'm pumped! Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"No Signal" on Monitor; PC power on but not booting up [ 5 Answers ]

I have a PC I built about 6 months ago that I've never had any problems with. Now when I turn it on I get "no signal" on my monitor. The problem is not the monitor though... the PC does not give any "beeps" or show signs of booting up... though the lights are on, all components seem to be...

Monitor starts up until after windows xp loading then says "no Signal" [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, last night my friend came round with his laptop an we watched a film using my monitor. I turned off my computer, unplugged the monitor an plugged it into his laptop, we watched the film fine, he went home. Next day in the morning I went to turn my comuter on, it loaded up until just after the...

Monitor flashes "no signal" when computer is turned on [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new power supply and now my monitor will not come on. It quickly flashes, "no signal" once then nothing. Everything worked fine until the power supply went out.

Computer is on, But Monitor display "No signal" [ 5 Answers ]

I am running on Window 2000 Professional OS, When I not touch the computer for 10 or 20 minutes(the time is not fixed), the monitor goes off and display "no signal". Then I cannot do anything except turn the computer off by press the computer power button. When I turn on the computer again,...

Monitor not working "No Signal" [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Daewoo HL710S LCD Monitor that is Plug & Play and DDC 1, 2B (whatever that means) It works fine with a Dell computer running Windows 2000 Professional. I am now trying to hook it up to a Compaq Evo (D51S) that has Windows XP Professional All I get is a “No Signal” message on the...

View more questions Search