Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davis2004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Wooden fence posts that were cemented in - are popping out
    We have a 6' wood privacy fence. "Some" of the posts, (that were all cemented in), have raised (popped straight up). What can cause this - and any ideas for repair?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 08:40 AM
    If the hole was funnel shaped, it can do that, I like to have the bottom of the hole bigger than the top to prevent this, Some Large rocks can help hold in place if placed in hole and mixed with the concrete.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Was there frost in the ground when they started to rise?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 12:21 PM
    When did you first notice that some posts were rising, what month and where do you live?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davis2004
    ...any ideas for repair?
    If holes are not deeper than the frost line for your area, you'll need to pull the posts, and redig holes deeper and larger than post. Pour a 8-12" concrete footer block in bottom of hole, plant post, and then fill remainder of hole with packed gravel.

IF concrete has stabilized, you might also cut off the posts and attempt drilling out the post portion still in the concrete, filling drilled out hole with more concrete, attaching a post anchor, and then reconnecting the posts; or something similar.

I'd go the first route if I needed a sturdy fence.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 12, 2008, 01:36 PM
    The main thing is the frost line... if you arnt below it... nothing will last very long. If want to fix it right... pull and re-set your posts.
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing wooden fence [ 8 Answers ]

I want to hire someone to install a new wooden fence. Like to pay him for the job but curious as to how many hours would it require one person to put in 120 feet of fencing. Includes 15 posts and required 2X4's and 6 inch boards. Posts to be installed with concrete. Two gates. Rough estimate is...

Wooden fence [ 2 Answers ]

How do you anchor galvanized fence post to concrete to erect a fence on a slab

Attaching wooden fence to a tree. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm want to install a stockade fence in my backyard. I have a tree behind in the corner. Should I just attach the fences to the tree or install another post.

View more questions Search