Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 9, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Big truck Milage
    My father-in-law has once again bought a new truck. He bought the big 1 ton dodge dually with the big cummings diesel engine. It is a 2008 model. He was told it would get 18 - 20 MPG. He has been getting 10 - 12 mpg. He called the dealer and they told him it was common... they said he would need to get 20,000 - 30,000 miles on the truck before the motor got broke in and the "good Milage" started. My father-in-law is a good honest man, is he being told the truth or is he being taken on this matter? He trades trucks every other year... he puts on 8 - 10 thousand miles a year... is he tradeing to soon? He has been driving the 1 ton dodge trucks for around 10 years now. The dealer told him that he always trades about the time the truck is getting broke in, does this sound right? Also they told him that he couldn't put a different air cleaner on the truck because it would ruin the turbo charger.
    Any help would be great.
    Mike
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 04:57 AM
    The gas mileage he gets is basically the same throughout the truck's life. Maybe a tad better after some mileage on the truck but if this particular truck can get 18-20MPG I'm halucinating. With such a big engine hauling around a heavy truck who does the dealer think they are kidding? Dealers are just that - dealers. Can they actually show him a for real owner of this particular model who actually gets decent mileage after owning it for 30K miles? Probably not. If your dad wants to trade it in every other year - that's his prerogative.
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Apr 18, 2008, 01:05 PM
    I hear that what he is getting is about average give or take 2 MPG. My Step Father had the gas version and got 8-10 MPG.

In my opinion I believe that fiscally he would be better off keeping the truck 3-4 years before trading it in. If he follows the maintenance schedule, with 30K-40K the truck should be still running like new. New vehicles have their biggest depreciation the first year, to compensate for that you keep the vehicle a year or 2 longer and the total cost of ownership over the long haul decreases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas milage [ 3 Answers ]

I hae a 2005 Ford Focus. I hae always gotten 28-32 mpg. Recently I hae only been getting average of 24 mpg. What can be the cause? Oil changes are done every 3000 miles with no changing in driving. Help!

Advertising auto milage [ 1 Answers ]

what is the average miles per gallon for all new cars? Using consumers reports, a random sample of 35 new cars gave an average of 21.1 mpg. a.) Identify the variable b.) Is the variable quantitive or qualitative? c.) What is the implied population?

My milage car stop working [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a honda accord 1992 Ex I was driving today fine , but went I'm coming back my milage conter stop working... why:confused:

Gas milage [ 3 Answers ]

On average which of these two vehicles get the best gas milage if you were renting it for a vacation, a minivan or and SUV?

Gas Milage [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone out there owns a 2006 Hyundai, Tucson 2.7, 6 cyl, AT, front wheel drive, let me know how your gas milage is. I have 10,500 miles on mine and get about 19.5 city, and 20.5 hwy. Hyundai is giving me a line that it isn't broke in till 15,000 miles, then milage should improve. After the...

View more questions Search