Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eagles05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Hunting regulations for convicted felon in Wyoming
    What are the Regulations for a convicted felon? Can I hunt in Wyoming with a felony?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eagles05
    Can I hunt in Wyoming with a felony?
    Hello e:

With a felony, yes. With a gun, no. Try a bow. Besides, it gives the deer a chance.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 10:27 AM
    You will have to be careful when you are around anyone who has a firearm as well. Bow hunting should work for you and being a felony. Try not to ride with anyone who has a gun in their car also as this could prove to maybe cause you some problems with police if the car is stopped.
    bensmom Posts: 14, Reputation: 5

Apr 21, 2008, 09:48 AM
    I am not a lawyer but I know here in Washington state you can get a felony lifted after 5 years once you have served all your probation time and have done all that the courts have required, fines etc, you can get a felony of a non violent crimes lifted to get riffle privledges, I don't believe you can poses a hand gun or file for a concealed weapons permit, I would check with the courts before I went out and bought a gun, never the less bow hunting is fun and challenging
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bensmom
    to get riffle privledges
    Hello mom:

I want my riffle privileges back. What are they?

excon
    Sights Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 10:15 AM
    I too have a felony and have talked to many people about this subject. Everybody passed the phone to someone else for a long time, but it all boiled down to: Yes you can hunt, archery only. That includes crossbows, but you can not use, own, or posses a fire arm in the state of Wyoming. That includes black powder!
    Federal law states, you can own a black powder rifle because they do not consider it a fire arm, but the state does.
    Hope this helps, good luck!
    Sights

Oct 3, 2008, 11:13 AM

excon: in my state of Washington, you can get a felony lifted, if it is on juvy record or is that of a non-violent crime and you wait the 5 years probation period , it can be lifted, I have know people with juvy felony crimes that had them lifeted to posses a riffle, not handgun and no concealed weapons permit, you have to file it through and court and of course pay certain amount of fines, though I feel archery is better hunting, check with you state laws and see if they lift felonies
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Hello again, mom:

I live right down the street from you...

However, an approval for the purchase of a firearm comes from the FEDERAL government - specifically the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. They don't CARE that the state of Washington expunged his record. In terms of FEDERAL law, the record is NOT expunged, and he'll be denied, in my humble opinion.

excon

Oct 5, 2008, 06:11 AM

Right down the street huh... Excon I am not a lawyer nor a felon, I have heard of people that I know saying they have had felonies lifted. My husband was convicted of a drug felony 4 years ago, as a hunter his biggest concern as stupid as it sounds was not being able to hunt ever again, our very high cost lawyer told us to come back to him in 5 years and you can have the felony lifted( as long as it is a felony of a non-violent crime)
    , meaning it will still be on his record, yes it always will be, some how you can get your hunting rifle rights back I do believe and do know people personally that have gotten them lifted on their juvy record.. though my husband has adjusted very well to bow hunting, (its expensive as hell) he is counting down that last year when he can supposedly get the felony "lift" to hunt again with a rifle. As far as approval to buy firearms, I do not know this part excon, after my husband was convicted of his felony we sent all our riffles to a friends in their locked cabinet just to be safe.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Hello again, mom:

Ok, let's get clear about our terminology, because it DOES mean something. There ain't no "lift"... That's just not a legal expression...

The two terms you should be familiar with, are "expungment" and "pardon". Those are the two legal processes that will aid in "lifting" your husbands conviction.

However, if your husband ever wants to handle a firearm, he needs a pardon. A pardon REMOVES the felony from existence. It would be like he was NEVER convicted.

An expungement, on the other hand, just hides his felony from the public. That ain't bad, but it DOESN'T hide it from the federal government, and it's the federal government who will restore his 2nd Amendment rights, if they have a mind to.

The procedures for these two different remedies are probably the same, or similar. He's going to need a very good lawyer in order to get this. In Seattle, call Jeffery Steinborn, or go to his website at potbust.com

Now, I don't know why I thought it was YOUR hubby who wanted to hunt, and now I'm confused... my normal state.. Ere, take this out of my hand.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bensmom View Post
    right down the street huh... Excon I am not a lawyer nor a felon, I have heard of people that I know saying they have had felonies lifted. My husband was convicted of a drug felony 4 years ago, as a hunter his biggest concern as stupid as it sounds was not being able to hunt ever again, our very high cost lawyer told us to come back to him in 5 years and you can have the felony lifted( as long as it is a felony of a non-violent crime)
    , meaning it will still be on his record, yes it always will be, some how you can get your hunting rifle rights back I do believe and do know people personally that have gotten them lifted on their juvy record.. though my husband has adjusted very well to bow hunting, (its expensive as hell) he is counting down that last year when he can supposedly get the felony "lift" to hunt again with a rifle. As far as approval to buy firearms, I do not know this part excon, after my husband was convicted of his felony we sent all our riffles to a friends in their locked cabinet just to be safe.

In NY I don't think you can own registered firearms if you are a convicted felon - just went through this with someone looking to sell his guns. He was not allowed to simply move them somewhere else - he had to surrender or sell them within X days. Maybe he misunderstood. I don't know and it only matters to me because I'm in NY.

I don't know what you mean by having the felony "lifted." I've never heard that expression before - how did your very high cost lawyer explain that - ?

Do you and your husband BOTH have felony convictions and both are questioning whether you can hunt?

Here's Wyoming law - it appears your husband would need a pardon from the Governor.

"A person convicted of a felony forfeits the right to vote, to serve on a jury, and to
    hold public office. Wyo. Stat. Ann. §§ 6-10-106(a), 1-11-102. For most felony
    offenders, civil rights regained either by pardon
    or restoration of voting rights
    from Governor. Wyo. Const. Art 4, § 5; Wyo. Stat. Ann. §§ 6-10-106(a), 7-13-
    105(a).
    First offender restoration: Since July 1, 2003, first-time non-violent felony
    offenders have been able to apply to the Wyoming Board of Parole for a
    certificate that restores voting rights five years after successful completion of
    sentence. Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 7-13-105(b). See IIC below. All other persons
    seeking to reinstate the right to vote must apply to the Governor for either a
    pardon or a restoration of rights.
    Firearms: A person convicted of a “violent felony” may not possess firearms
    (including long guns) unless pardoned
    . See Wyo. Stat. Ann. §§ 6-8-102, 6-1-
    104(a)(xii)."

Oct 5, 2008, 05:57 PM

Well thanks excon, though I must say that I am more confused then ever,thanks you
    Philj8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2011, 06:10 PM
    What you are talking about is filing a petition to the courts to reduce your felonies to Misdameners, although your right to bare arm is not reenstated. The Petition Form is a 1203.4 and it restores some rights like when you put in an application for employment you no longer have to add your felonies because they are reduced. Except when you apply for a Federal/Local government Job you will have to enclude them in the apps.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Philj8 View Post
    What you are talking about is filing a petition to the courts to reduce your felonies to Misdameners, althought your right to bare arm is not reenstated. The Petition Form is a 1203.4 and it restores some rights like when you put in an application for employment you no longer have to add your felonies because they are reduced. exept when you apply for a Federal/Local govenment Job you will have to enclude them in the apps.

This is a very old thread. You are incorrect. The OP is in COLORADO, not CALIFORNIA (which you have quoted).
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 27, 2011, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    This is a very old thread. You are incorrect. The OP is in COLORADO, not CALIFORNIA (which you have quoted).
    Colorado? Wyoming, actually.

Well, what's the difference, huh?

They are all out west somewhere, so what's the difference, right? :cool:
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 07:17 AM

Okay, so my major wasn't geography - get the feeling my whole day will go downhill from here?

Thanks for the correction.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 27, 2011, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Okay, so my major wasn't geography - get the feeling my whole day will go downhill from here?

Thanks for the correction.
    Naw. You will have a great day, JKT. :D
    DTpice85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
    Can you hunt with a bow in Wyoming with a felony]
    DTpice85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 02:13 PM
    I don't know
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DTpice85 View Post
    can you hunt with a bow in wyoming with a felony]
    Hello D:

Yes - but I'd use the bow.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convicted Felon wants to go hunting [ 16 Answers ]

My Husband is a convicted sex-offender of something that happened years ago. It is now hunting season and he wants to put food on the table for the family but is not allowed to "own" a gun. I know there are ways to fight that, but where would I begin? I've looked on the ATF's website and have NO...

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Hunting regulations for convicted felons [ 2 Answers ]

Can I deer hunt in Michigan during season with a valid hunting license, if I have a felony conviction on my record.

Convicted Felon Hunting [ 4 Answers ]

In the state of Georgia, is it illegal for a convicted felon to hunt with a "compound bow"?

Convicted Felon [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon. I would like to marry my boyfriend that is not a native or a resident of the united States. Is there a waiting period for me to file for his residency?

View more questions Search