Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom22 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Apr 8, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Exterior Paint Recommendation
    Hello, All.
    I live in Bolingbrook and am looking for estimates on an exterior paint job. I was wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with a painter they may want to recommend.
    Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Still working on that puppy, huh mom22. I don't have rec for you but avoid certain companies that advertise that they use college kids to do the work. Look in your yellow pages for your county and call the 3 painters with the largest ads. Ask them to come out and give you an estimate that specifies the same prep work, primer and top coats.

Apr 8, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Ahhh... BB.. How right you are. I have three companies out this week. One of them was recommended by the Bolingbrook Chamber of Commerce. One of them (CollegeWorks) turned me off because they did the whole "If you sign the contract at the time of the estimate we'll take 5% off" thing. I hate pressure sales. We'll see how it goes. I'm so sick of this house. So many issues, so little money.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Think of the added value you are getting and someday the sellers market will return.

Apr 9, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Okay I'm three estimates in and more confused than ever. Some people have talked about caulking and others have said there is no caulking needed. One guy told me that exterior wood needs to be stained, not painted, and that will last longer and not crack. Some people have talked about sanding and power-washing, others just scraping. I'm starting to think that I should just do the research and try the project on my own. Any thoughts and whether this is doable? Or should I just leave it to the pros who all seem to have different ideas about what should be done? The wood is cedar sections about 4' wide. The paint is cracking badly and three section of the wood need to be replaced (this is the part I'm most afraid of trying to do myself).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to paint exterior vinyl shutters [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Wanting to know if anyone has the best way of repainting vinyl shutters and I am looking for a satin finish? Do I have to prime first? I would rather not?

Can you paint a vinyl exterior of a house? [ 5 Answers ]

I was told you can't paint a vinyl exterior of a house. Is this true?

Paint exterior door [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently painted my exterior door which is a metal plate on a wooden door. Before painting, I striped the old paint, sanded, cleaned, and primed the door. I then used a brush to apply a good latex exterior paint. When the paint dried it looks like it had "water spots" all over the door. ...

Exterior Paint colour [ 1 Answers ]

We have a red brick house, the garage, front door and window trim is white. We want to paint the garage and front door a different colour can you suggest a few colours-I want the garage a different colour than the front door.

Exterior paint jobs - cost? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to paint the outside of my house and I got a quote from someone in town and I'm a little sketical about the cost. It's a one story, 1400 foot house in San Diego with stucco. The quote I got to power wash, paint the house and paint the trim is $2000. Does this sound right? Seems low to me...

View more questions Search