Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creekmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Relinquishing parental rights
    I currently pay child support, howerver I never see the child. In the divorce, it stated that if I wanted to see the child I would have to be supervised. I never attempted to do this. But his mother has allowed me to see him approx. a total of 5 times in eleven years. With that being said, can I relinquish my rights. And does that end my obligation to the child for which I do not see? I live in Texas and the few answers I have found have confused me. I appreciate your answers.
    ldyastrid Posts: 82, Reputation: 12

Apr 8, 2008, 06:39 AM
    You can relinquish your rights (which are not being exercised anyway) but that will not stop your obligation to pay child support - the only way that will end is when the child reaches legal age or finishes school (what-ever is stipulated in the divorce papers)... or... Termination of Parental Rights.

A judge will not normally TPR a parent based on how often they see the child - typically, there needs to be someone willing to adopt the child when rights are terminated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2008, 06:49 AM
    I don't know what is confusing you. There are hundreds of threads here discussing this issue and they all say the same thing. The courts will not grant a TPR just to allow the parent to get out of child support. Generally a TPR is ONLY granted when there is someone wanting to adopt the child or the parent represents a danger to the child.

In some states, a TPR does not end the parent's responsibility for support. In others (including Texas) it does. However, where it does end support, its just that much harder to get one.
    JULES787 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 01:56 PM
    I Am On Here Trying To Find An Answer To A Similar Situation. I However Don't Agree With The Relinquishing Of The Dad.

Fyi: What I Don't Get Is How People Ask Quest And The Repetitive Beginning Response Of Scottgem Is Unnecessary. How Do U Know If People Haven't Look For The Answer, Maybe They Didn't Find It. But To Continuously Start By Telling People There Are '100s Of Threads' Come Across As Annoyed. Then After The Complaining You Offer Your Advice. Just Answer The Question. If It's that Much Of Bother Then You Shouldn't Bother.

Your Advice However Is Great (minus The Addlib)!
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 03:57 PM
    If you are granted your request of relinquishing your rights your support will stop (any back amount will still be owed but no more current). However the child's mother has to agree to you signing away your rights you can't just do it with out her knowing. And then the judge will have to sign off on it too.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JULES787
    Fyi: What I Don't Get Is How People Ask Quest And The Repetitive Beginning Response Of Scottgem Is Unnecessary. How Do U Know If People Haven't Look For The Answer, Maybe They Didn't Find It. But To Continuously Start Off By Telling People There Are '100s Of Threads' Come Across As Annoyed. Then After The Complaining You Offer Your Advice. Just Answer The Question. If Its That Much Of Bother Then You Shouldn't Bother.

I just opened the Family Law forum and on the first page there are 7 posts that refer to relinquishing rights. And that doesn't count the sticky note at the top of the forum that also talks about it. So if people didn't find it, its pretty clear they didn't look.

The idea here is that people can often find an answer by reading previous posts.

And if you think its annoying to see a comment like that from me, think how annoying it is to us to see the same question posted over and over and over. We want to help as many people as we can, but if we have to answer the same question because someone is too lazy to do some research that takes away from the time we can spend with fresh questions.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:22 AM
    "Relinquishing" your rights, if your state even recognizes such a thing, will not relieve you of the obligation to continue paying child support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JULES787
    I Am On Here Trying To Find An Answer To A Similar Situation. I However Don't Agree With The Relinquishing Of The Dad.

Fyi: What I Don't Get Is How People Ask Quest And The Repetitive Beginning Response Of Scottgem Is Unnecessary. How Do U Know If People Haven't Look For The Answer, Maybe They Didn't Find It. But To Continuously Start Off By Telling People There Are '100s Of Threads' Come Across As Annoyed. Then After The Complaining You Offer Your Advice. Just Answer The Question. If Its That Much Of Bother Then You Shouldn't Bother.

Possibly because Scottgem has posted (exactly) 19,764 times and probably 19,760 of those answer this same question. The experts are not in charge of taking people by the hand and leading them to the search feature.

And Scott "bothers" because he knows the answer - if you just want the question answered without rhetoric, retain an Attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquishing parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

How do you relinguish your parental rights? I need to know. I am so to, interested in doing this.

Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 8 Answers ]

I'm hoping someone out there can help up! PLEASE! My fiancé Chris has a daughter that lives in NY state. His ex will not take his calls or text messages when he tries to find out any info about his daughter. We have discussed it long and hard and have decided that we would find out info about...

Relinquishing parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

The father of my children is not involved with them at all. Lives in a different state and rarely even calls and never paid child support. How can I go about having him giving up his rights? We have discussed this when he called 4 months ago. Just don't know how to go about it.

Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 26 Answers ]

I am a 35yr old mother with 4 children. My oldest of 11yrs has never known his father, this was by his choice. I have asked his father if he'd be willing to relinquish his rights as his father and he agreed since he never sees him anyway. Now my question is, how can we go about doing this without...

Relinquishing parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks Scott but I would prefer to do it now and get it over with. I have no problem with being held responsible for the financial obligation but I feel this decision is best for all involved.

View more questions Search