Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    questions for a friend Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Commonlaw for 10 years
    If there was no legal marriage, only a 10 year commonlaw relationship, the husband owns a business but the woman's name is no where on the business, when the couple separates, does the woman have equal rights to the business, if so how can she prove they were together for that amount of time?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 10:10 PM
    You must be certain about whether there was a common law marriage: 1) does law allow for it; and 2) did the parties fulfill the requirement under the law. As to the business, states have different laws pertaining to division of property; and whether a party is entitled to alimony. She can offer her own testimony as to the length of the relationship through pictures, tax returns, testimony of family and friends.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 08:05 AM
    You can check into palimony
    The palimony case is the latest in a string of such suits filed since
    The term was coined in 1977 after actor Lee Marvin's companion, Michelle
    Triola, won a landmark lawsuit. She argued that based on specific
    Promises, a cohabitant can have property rights to the assets of another
    Cohabitant.

One of the largest palimony awards was granted in 199exp4, when an
    Orange County jury ordered Mag-Lite flashlight mogul Anthony Maglica to
    Pay $84 million to Claire Maglica. The two never married but had lived
    Together for more than 20 years and she had served as executive vice
    President of the Ontario-based company.

As George said though common law, palimony and everything would be based on your states laws.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 6, 2008, 08:18 AM
    You don't say where your friend lives, which might have helped. Most US states have abolished common law marriage laws. If they split they both need lawyers to help straighten this out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 11:14 AM
    In general esp in the US there is no common law marriage except for a few states. Now if she an prove she added to the business, helped build it, she may have some claim, but it will be hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been fri [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been friends since I was 17 and about 3 years ago that grew into something more. He is everything to me my best friend my lover and my partner. There is no one I would like to spend my time with except for him. He is 56...

Commonlaw separation [ 3 Answers ]

I've been coomonlaw less than 2years... I sold my house of 16yrs and used my money to buy a house in both are names... the down payment came solely from the sale of my house. He did not contribute one dime... the relationship is done.. He says he is going to take have the house does he have the...

Statue of limitation on adult interdependent relationships (commonlaw) [ 2 Answers ]

I was in an off and on relationship with a man for almost 7 years. We purchased a condo together the last 2-3 years of our relationship but when the relationship ended, we split the profit of the sale of the condo 50/50, split the furniture, etc. However, we did not claim any other financial items...

Commonlaw law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there,I've been in a relationship now for just over 2 years and I want to but a property.My name will only be going on the mortgage but my partner will be living with me in this property. Can you tell me whether or not that if we did split up, would she be entitled to anything as her name...

Commonlaw rights [ 1 Answers ]

What rights would I be intitled to once I am married to my partner even if my name is not on the mortgage

View more questions Search