Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rescue me Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Going to Trial -Property may be seized
    Well I got an attorney and told him I owed the debt but could not pay after I called the attorney on the lawsuit and asked to negoitate they said no all or nothing. The suit is against old credit card debt of almost 19 thousand with fees and interestes and so forth. Anyway, so now I am owing the attorney a few thousand, and have him set up on payment of 200 a month until he is paid off. I am set for Trial 1st week of July against the creditor but have to be on call in case they change court time.
    My biggest fear is that the judge will immediately order my bank account seized or my property seized or a large lien put against my property and I will never be able to pay it off because the lawyer for the creditor wants it and fees of over 30% asseted against it anually
    . What can I expect? I live in Texas and less than a month ago finally got my place paid off. Health wise I figure I will be gone in a few years anyway this stress and everything is just adding to it.. :eek:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Well first their attorney may be telling you all sorts of lies, I would like to have wings and fly but that ain't going to happen.

All they will get at this meeting is a judgement, there is limits as to garnishments in TX, so you are scared they will get the money from your bank, take all the money out in smaller amounts so there is no money in the bank, pay with money orders for things.

And so a lien is put against your property latter, it will only get paid if you latter sale the house or when you die from its sale, so the last thing they really want is a lien, they want the money,

You can expect to lose and they will get a judgement, and so they can't get the money, over 1/2 of all judgements never get any money
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Don't close your bank account. Just keep a minimum amount in the account to technically keep it open. I have a checking account that costs me nothing to maintain if I keep $5 in a savings account. I have a balance of .35 in that account and have had it for years. It is a Federal Credit Union bank that offers this "free checking". I pay no monthly service charge and no charge per check fee either. I keep this as a dummy account so I can legally tell a creditor that this is my bank account. They go to empty out my bank account - even got papers to that effect that they were going to do just that - and they ended up not taking my 35 cents. Just a thought. See if they have a credit union bank in your area that offers this type of an account. And then either use money orders or pay cash until these people "go away".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well pump seized up [ 5 Answers ]

The pump in the house has been off for at least 3 yrs when started up the fuse in the circuit box glows red and pump won't start the heat has been off in this house for awhile could the pump be frozen its winter here in Michigan.:(

Rights to a speedy trial and can they keep your legally obtained money until the trial? [ 5 Answers ]

15 months ago the APD(Albany Police Department in Oregon) served a search warrant at our home. We had just gotten a settlement from a major motorcycle wreck my other half was in and had cash in our home. We have documents to prove we had just gotten this money 6 days prior to the search warrant....

Stop a spouse from selling marital property till my motion for new trial is started [ 4 Answers ]

I have a motion for new trial set for hearing after 25 days as I was not informed about the divorce proceeddings at all. I was out of counrty for some time and my spouce got a divorce and all the property in Dallas, TEXAS. Now my spouse is trying to sell the marital property (house, shop, cars)...

Inheritance seized by bank [ 1 Answers ]

Can a bank take money gained by inheritance from one person to pay a debt belonging to the spouse if the person receiving is not on the debt?:confused:

View more questions Search