Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelinashaven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 04:42 PM
    May I File Taxes if Income only Consists of Child Support and SSI Benefits for my Chi

*This is actually for a friend of mine but I am going to write it in first person anyway.*

Hopefully, someone will have some advise on my dilemma. I am unsure as to whether I need to feel taxes for 2007. Last year I was receiving cash aid up until August when I started receiving SSI Benefits for my son due to his disability. Additionally, I receive Child Support Payments on a regular basis. This is the only income I have received all year. I have been unable to hold a job due to the amount of effort/time needed/invested into my son's education etc.

I have been separated from my wife for 5 years, I am the custodial parent of my two children and they have lived with me all year long.

Can I file to receive to receive any child tax credit? Please advise.
    Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Yes they may also be eligible for the $300 to $600 rebate

Stimulus Payments: Instructions for Low-Income Workers and Recipients of Social Security and Certain Veterans' Benefits
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 08:30 PM
    No, child support and SSI benefits are not qualifying income for stimulus tax rebate.

For more information on the eligibility and how much rebate you will get read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Are You Eligible for 2008 Stimulus Tax Rebate Payment?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 02:44 PM
    You fill a 1020A (I think it is) out and you might get the $300 to $600.
    My son and a couple of my friends get Social security disability (and no other income) and the tax lady filed it and they are getting the $300. Rebate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

CAN I FILE Tax credit ON SSI? Supplemental Security Income [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I have lived on my SSI Disability check for 7 years now. (Supplemental Security Income) I have tried to find answers to a couple of questions without any luck. I would like to file for the Low Income Credit. Can I file for that particular credit? Can I even file income taxes...

Father on SSI so no child support? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, My children's father is on SSI and does not pay his court ordered child support. I also know that he has been working under the table for some time now (and is earning more than me) and still will not pay his child support. He is 15 months behind on payments. I had a child support case...

Do I have to file? Parents claimed me as a dependent but I received SSI benefits [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about SSI benefits and whether I have to file or not. Long story short, my dad is disabled and receives SSI benefits. I don't live with him anymore (I live with my mom and stepdad), so he chose to have part of that come to me. I get a set amount each month. I forget exactly...

SSI and child support [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a newbie. I was divorce 4 years ago. I am disable and my ex has the kids. SSI pays my ex $888.00 per month at time of divorce. This is for two kids. One of the kids is now 18 and he should no longer get child support, but SSI is still sending a check to my ex for $888.00. Shouldn't SSI...

View more questions Search