Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonso Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Optometry and health managenent
    Hello,
    I am an optometrist by training but I would want to diversify into health management, or something along that line. More specifically, my goal is to work for an international outfit like the UN or WHO. My folks think a masters degree in public health is the way to go, however, I recently stumbled upon a masters degree program in 'international health management' offered in some universities in the states and the UK. Which degree would prove more advantageous for my future plans? Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2006, 02:21 PM
    You did not say what country you are from, but the health care from just two places, like Canada and the US differe like day and night.
    So if you are interested in international health care a study in that specific area would in my opinoin be the best.

Also be sure it is from a highly rated university.

Feb 8, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Thanks Fr Chuck, I am Nigerian. I'd like to ask you a few questions on another forum. I am a Catholic and an African, so I think you get the direction of my gist!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2006, 03:45 PM
    Sorry as my wife had told me a dozen times, I don't get any hints well.

I will try and catch your other posts or feel free to message me direct if you would like to
    sami21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nonso
    hello,
    i am an optometrist by training but i would want to diversify into health management, or something along that line. More specifically, my goal is to work for an international outfit like the UN or WHO. My folks think a masters degree in public health is the way to go, however, i recently stumbled upon a masters degree program in 'international health management' offered in some universities in the states and the UK. Which degree would prove more advantageous for my future plans? Thank you.
    This is a question for nonso; I al also hoping to do optomtery but I believe you have completed your degree, and I was wondering what did you have to do before you strted your course, which books are helpful and do I need to do any thing specific before I do this course. Thanks for your time, it will be very helpful if you can answer this question.

Jul 18, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Hey Sami21. Theodore Grosvenor's Primary Care Optometry is a very good all rounder for all spheres of optometry. However, if you want to be a master of refraction, use Borisch. For pathologies and the likes Kanski is very helpful. All the best of luck with Optometry and I hope you have fun with it.

Jul 18, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Oh, and Sami21, for the earlier years of Optometry, pre clinics, your optics knowledge(i.e physics) has to be really good. You start having fun as soon as you enter clinics however. I thoroughly enjoyed pathology and pharmacology. Also, a business curriculum was introduced into my school and I liked the practice management modules. If you have it in your school, I advice you to enjoy it and not flunk Accounting like I almost did. You will need it in the future.tata
    sami21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 02:40 PM
    thanks nonso :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health [ 3 Answers ]

Question: Is it possible to get HIV/AIDs through saliva? Why or why not?

Health [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have any advice on preventing dark under eye circles??

Optometry? Career help needed! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 18 and live in the UK. I have recently gained a place to study optometry at university for this September. However, I'm having major doubts about studying for this degree. A few months ago when I was deciding what to do at uni, I thought that Optometry sounded like a good course because...

Am I hurting my health? [ 3 Answers ]

Am I hurting my health by eating 2 times a day 6 to 8 hours apart. For instance I don't eat breakfast, my first breaksfast is at 3pm then I have dinner problay at 9 pm and I'm done and I do to bed. I am a little over weight but I'm not doing this to lose weight it just how my body is adjusted to my...

Kitten health [ 1 Answers ]

One month old kitten with blister like sores, sores heal and then fill up again. New ones keep appearing, any ideas?

View more questions Search