Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xunsinkablex Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Mar 31, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Do I have to file? Parents claimed me as a dependent but I received SSI benefits
    Hi, I have a question about SSI benefits and whether I have to file or not.

Long story short, my dad is disabled and receives SSI benefits. I don't live with him anymore (I live with my mom and stepdad), so he chose to have part of that come to me. I get a set amount each month. I forget exactly how much I got from it, but it was a bit over $4000 for 2007. My mom and stepdad claimed me as a dependent. I don't have any other income, as I'm not working right now. Do I still have to file taxes? I need to know because I'll be going to college this fall, and the college I'm attending is asking for a signed copy of my W-2's. Also, if I had to file, I'd have to change the information on my FAFSA. So, do I have to file? Or do I not have to because my mom and stepdad claimed me as a dependent? I'm 17 if that matters, and the SSI benefits stop a month before my 18th birthday (which is in June). Thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 05:25 AM
    SSI income is not taxable.

Your parents can claim you dependent if they provided more than half of your support and you did not earn more than $3,400. SSI does not count as income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When my wife has to enter US to be claimed as my tax dependent exemptions [ 2 Answers ]

HI, there, Just a question regarding to tax dependent. My wife and I married outside US this year. She is planning to take the visa interview on Dec. Can she be count as my tax dependent exemptions for my 2007 tax return if she enters US before 12/31/2007? When will she be eligible to be...

Garnishment of SSi benefits [ 4 Answers ]

I got some helpful advise the other day on what to do about a garnishment of SSI benefits... well I contacted the bank and the were very rude and snotty with me about the matter and told them I would be filing papers against them because the can be held liable for sending the funds to the...

Can visiting parents be claimed as dependents [ 9 Answers ]

Can parents on visitor visa lived in usa for 170 days in yr 2006 be claimed as dependent for yr 2006 If yes now can I sumit their form w-7 application for itin along with my form 1040 in April 2007 if they are back to india currently?

Dependent (Spouse ) Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

1. I was USA on L1 visa for 7 Months (From Feb 06-Aug 06) last year. Do I file as 'USA Resident'? I am from India. 2. My wife was here for 3 weeks (in Jun 06). Can I file jointly and claim tax benefits for my wife as dependent. 3. I understand that I need to submit W7 form and get an ITIN...

View more questions Search